Posts by Hagar The Horrible

NandosJK is working on Instagram and he's now a Admin on our Facebook page. Post here or PM he or I if you have some photo's you'd like to post up.

Speaking of the Facebook page. We now have 699 likes. If Stafford sees that, he will have an OCD meltdown. Can one more person like us...or not...the meltdown is cool too. :)

Yes I have given Nandosjk a bunch of pics for the instagram. I lost all my photos (other than photobucket) when my phone broke and they gave me a new one. I guess we will just have to hit the trail again and get some more!

if you're gonna stick with street tires, then the 3.21 gears are preferred... better gas mileage. But, if you plan on going to large tires, then get the 3.73 gears. 33s are only marginally larger than stock 255/75/17 (32") so for a 99% on-road Jeep (like most daily drivers are), then I'd even suggest sticking with the 3.21 gears for local terrain. In areas with hills, 3.73 would be better, but... we're on the east coast. :)

I agree. I have 3.21 and im running a heavy 34" tire and I need to regear when I jump to 35s. When I drive my wifes stock JK with the same 3.21 gears you can tell the difference. With a 33" tire you will be just fine with the stock 3.21 gears and like Jerry said you cant beat the MPG. The wife gets 19-20 around town and has pushed 26 mpg on the highway. Even with my 34s and 3.21 gears I average 17 about town and 20 on the highway which is not bad with the added weight of larger wheels, tires, skid plates, and accessories I have added.

Also remember , big tires will require new gears. New gears will likely need a new carrier. So lpckers start to make sense. Oh how the worms leave the can.

With the newer engines you can get away from regearing if you stay on 35's and if you atleast have 3.73 gears.

Both are true. I have 3.21s and 34's right now in my JK. I will be switching to 4.56 maybe next year. Also if you have an auto or a manual trans will change things a bit. If you have 3.73 you can get a way with more of a tire before you really feel the need to change. If however you have 3.21 stock tires suck but MPG is great.

can someone help me, i just bought a 2013 jeep wrangler freedom edition. I'm proceeding to buy a lift kit but i'm having trouble deciding on what size lift kit and also I need to find someone to put the suspension kit on.

Welcome :wavey:
    In answer to your question we would need some more information on what your plan for the Jeep is going to be. Depending on what size tire you want will help to dictate what size lift you need. I have a 3" Zone lift and I have small spacers in the front to bring it up to 3.75". You can easily run 35's with stock flares or maybe even 37's with flat flares. 37's would fit nicely with a 4.5" lift. Keep in mind that different lift companies will give you different max tire sizes for their lift. Depending on what your plan is to do with the Jeep will also help pick the lift and tire combo. What brand were you thinking of?

As far as putting the lift on. There is the local Rhino liners of Delaware they can do a basic lift but some (including myself) dont really like them. Carman Jeep in New Castle will put a lift on for you and will keep your warranty in tact (talk to Tony Trotta). If you get to know a few people in the club you can throw a wrenching party where members will work for Beer an pizza.

I would like to think of myself as a realist also even though I have crazy ideas at times. So maybe i'm a realist with optimistic tendencies :) . Ideas have to be looked at from all sides and reality is of the utmost importance. I didn't know that other have tried this but I can fully understand how this could easily fail. Even if the legal aspect is cleared up there is still the hurtle of making it interesting and not just all mud. The optimist in me would like to think that if the owners do move forward with this than the ideas and collective brain power of DEJA could make this a fun place.

I figure that even with DEJA being legally free of this, a land owner + DEJAs ideas and off road expertise= a fun place to get dirty locally.

I hope everyone keeps the ideas coming. And if it does fail at least we tried.

Simply put , negative thinking will make you talk yourself out of pretty much anything... Taking some risks makes life worth living. I for one would love a place local to play, even if its mud, logs tires and old concrete. If the land owner is willing, so am I. Building trails .. I'm up for it. Want rocks.. bring some, If every jeep brought a few big rocks, would could have a rock trail.

Let us know what we can do.

:up:

Having a few friends over to drive around is a lot different than what you are suggesting.

And also keep in mind that since this would be posted here for everyone on the interwebs to see, it's not like it could be kept on the down low. And that includes any "unofficial arrangements".

My personal opinion would be for DEJA to stay detached in all ways legal from whatever becomes of it. I just don't see enough good coming from it to offset all the potential headaches and liabilities.

You are right some of what is being discussed is different than letting a few friends over but depending on how it is created the legal difference can be eliminated.

No arrangements have been made so everything is unofficial. In fact the entire thought of this happening is unofficial. The land owners may or may not want to do this and may or may not invite the club even if they do. Yes it is on the internet for everyone to include the land owners to see and contribute. No one knows the exact location on this site other than my wife and me so if anything were to happen now on the land would not be able to fall back on the club.

Unless the club sponsored and invested in the area than DEJA would be legally free. If the club were to run the land in an ESJA way than yes I can see your point about being legally in the line of fire, and really that is not what the point of this idea was. Since the land is not owned by DEJA and unless DEJA was to be in a contract with the land owner for exclusive rights to run functions there than there could be no legal ramifications on the club. The idea of having this tied to the club had been made as well as taking donations. One would make us liable while one would leave us clear.

The entire point of this thread was to first see if there would be any interest and second if there was an interest spitball ideas if anything was to become of this. My first post still holds true that this is hypothetical. I've not talked as a representative of the club to the owners since that is not my place they are friends of mine and my wife's. Conversations on what to do with their unused land has come up but I have always told them that any official club actions would have to go through Billy (or who ever is the president at the time). I have simply brought the idea to the club to see what the reaction would be. Everything is unofficial until the club would officially become involved if that is what the club chose to do.

I think we both agree that no one here would want DEJA to become legally affected by anything mentioned on this site as a whole. In my opinion though if there was to be a legal private area in Delaware that would help with people illegally wheeling at the Canal.

If this becomes a reality I really don't think that this will be a large commercial or financial matter (at least in the beginning). For the 30 acre lot a test It may resemble the Pocomoke fair and Jeep jam type of thing. Some areas would be more muddy like at Pocomoke and others would be built like the Jeep jam. This wouldn't really be a place to rival RC but would be more of an off road itch filler or a local place to test your rig after a mod. Things like a Halloween and snow ride could be arranged. Just a local place to have fun and pop it into 4wd.

No rocks and all mud is an issue that will have to be addressed depending on what is there. Things can be built and work would have to be done to create things that wont "get old" but it is a possibility. In reality depending on how much work would be needed would in some way dictate this actually happening. I know personally I enjoy some mud as much as I like the rocks at RC.

On a side note talks have also begun with my wife's friends that have 100 acres on the other side of Smyrna. This area maybe better since its larger. I will be trying to take a ride around there to see what that area has to offer. They would be ok with us building on there land. However, there has not been any final talks with them just has been brought up unofficially.

Zoning will be an issue but there is always a way around zoning. Maybe to stay way from a legal zoning issue the land owner would take donations to drive on the land. It is private property and as far as our research has detailed they are just not allowed to develop the land into a neighborhood. They are allowed to hunt and drive on their land so if it were on an unofficial donation basis it may work. I know the people with 100 acres let people drive on their land and have never had an issue but that was a smaller scale and with friends of their children.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the invite.... What kind of turn out do you guys get?

Hoping to get a good turn out so Hooters will keep letting us have a Jeep night. I know when I went to bike night it was huge and was always a blast. The more the word is put out the more people will show up. This location is close enough for people to come from PA, NJ, and MD if they want.

Would think if its kept as private land, and we give donations as opposed to paying, it may reduce the liability. Sign a waiver and it should be good. Perhaps if its an exclusive DEJA thing, we could require only paid members have access. This would increase paid memebership, and then contribute as a club to the land owner

I know this is still very early stages on the drawing board but keep the ideas coming. Those are some good ideas and will be brought up in conversations with them. If this thing takes off these will be ideas that will be brought to Billy, the BOD, and the club as a whole. I will see what the land owner would be comfortable with as far as payment and such. Im sure he wants to limit liabilty as much as possible. I am 50/50 on only letting paid members I see both sides. I wouldn't want to cut anyone out from the land but increasing club membership is a good thing. If it came to "members only" im sure that the land owner would first have to approve and the club would have to take an official vote. Maybe it could be something like paid members are on a donation basis and non members would have to pay the nominal fee.
    I know either way the land owner would need help and it would only be fair to compensate him for land use. I do know that he will be willing to barter help with trail cutting and building in exchange for some free wheeling provided this take off.

Well the feedback here has peaked their interest. We will be chatting more in depth soon to see if this will become a reality. If it becomes a reality it will start slow since it would take time to build so it may start out as open only to DeJA in the beginning. I will update after I talk more with them and check out the land closer than my last visit. I can't promise that this will take shape but there is at least a good possibility that we could be wheeling there this time next year.

Personally I think its a good idea it wouldn't be hard to get the concrete chunks trust me just call a concrete company that you wantall gthe left over busted up concrete and they would be more then happy to give it to you free of charge. Better then getting charged 5$ a ton at a lot of places who recuycle it anyway.and I would pay 5-10$ pending on what it is. Where at in Smyrna anyway.

Technically in Clayton almost to the MD line.