Posts by YJpotter91

I have a front end “growl” at 50mp+ all u joints on front and rear shaft replaced, centering yoke on front shaft replaced, and literally every wearable part up front is brand new. The noise was there before I did all of this so it’s nothing I did.

It’s not there if I remove front driveshaft which leads me to believe front diff or t case? A few months ago I had to front diff cover off and replaced fluid but honestly did not inspect for any damage because 1 I was kind of in a hurry and 2 I was certain the noise was because of u joints which I hadn’t replaced at that time

Any ideas?

Dana 30 and np231

So I bought a 2001 XJ yesterday only 123k miles. It was nasty out yesterday and I’ve been painting in my house most of the day today so I’ve done zero diagnosing but it’s been on my mind all day so why not post about it?!

Here’s what I know about it:

-Cylinder 5 misfire

-Milky oil

-Plenty of crud in cooling system

-Good oil pressure

The guy said it has good compression and he’s replaced spark plugs. I’m gonna do a compression test and cooling system pressure test myself later. Also, I take this with a grain of salt but he said the oil is milky because someone put coolant in the valve cover.

Should I go beyond the compression and pressure test or should I accept what is most likely reality that this 0331 head is cracked?

Anyone have a set of 15” Jeep wheels in decent shape that aren’t the cheapo steel wheels. Need them for a 2000 xj classic, so something that would look like they’re supposed to be there

I recently picked up another XJ and I’m putting a 2” lift on it. I’m shopping around for shocks and am leaning towards ranchos.
    I’m only finding them for either stock or with 3” lift. Anyone know which option I should choose? I’m guessing get the ones for 3” lift but don’t know if they would bottom out
    the jeeps use will be mostly DD and I’ll use it on the beach to surf fish
    Also feel free to tell me those shocks suck and go with _______

Picked up an 01 2.5 automatic TJ yesterday and it has a whine through first gear. Quiets right up when it shifts to second. Also when pulling it up onto my truck it would basically slip into neutral and roll backwards then eventually catch and move a little more.
    I don’t know anything about these transmissions. Is this a common issue with these?

It didn’t have a hitch and judging by how rotten that thing was you wouldn’t have wanted it. But hey I can come buy your daughters YJ tonight and she can get you a brand new one for Father’s Day!!