Posts by hzryr61

Just heard back from the shop. They will not fix it because they say there is too much rust and they can't fix it. I find that hard to believe. I'm going to Jeff Daniels to see if they can help.

I just found out that i need to replace the driver's side of my TJ rear frame for inspection. I'll have to get a shop to do it because i have no welder (or skills). I was wondering how much I should expect to spend on this.

Thanks,
    Kevin

I'm not in the market, but that sounds like low miles for that vintage. It also looks like you have good documentation of the work on it. If you can post (or even link to) pics, it would go a long way to help you sell it.

Good luck.
    Kevin

sucks about the engine.
    does it have heated seats? do you know if they would fit in a TJ?
    What size tires are they?

I might be interested in some other small pieces.

I'll reach out to you tomorrow.

Kevin

Thanks for the great responses! I will do a flush, not sure if it will be next month or in the spring.

The Jeep had the green stuff in it, and that's what i used. I checking the owner's manual it stated it should have HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) AKA the orange stuff. After the flush, I plan to use the orange stuff.

Orange vs. Green: (NEVER MIX!)
    From the University of Tennessee: An alternative to tradition green antifreeze is a product currently used by many engine manufacturers. "Orange" antifreeze is a long life or extended life type of antifreeze used to increase the useful life of engine coolant. It is ethylene glycol base as is the green antifreeze. The difference between the two colors is that orange antifreeze contains a different type of corrosion inhibitor that has a much longer service life than silicates, phosphates and borates. Orange antifreeze contains organic acids that protect engine parts from corrosion. Silicate (green) type antifreeze does not mix with orange type antifreeze. Never mix the two colors in a cooling system. The organic acids in orange types will cause precipitation of silicates in the green type and corrosion protection is greatly reduced. Orange type antifreezes are good for five years or 100,000/150,000 miles in newer vehicles (1996 and later). They can be used in many older vehicles (ask your vehicle dealer if it is safe to use orange antifreeze) if all of the green mixture is flushed from the system and is replaced with the orange mixture. Useful life is about four years or 60,000 miles in older cars.
    :driving:

I replaced the radiator this weekend in my 2001 TJ, but i mixed the coolant with tap water instead of distilled water. How bad is this? Google says everything from, "it's fine" to "you're engine will melt".

little details:
    I used 1.5 gal of 50/50 mix
    I'm on city water that is high in chlorine

thanks for any insight,
    Kevin

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2px]100% [/size]recommend[size=2px].[/size][/font]
    I did not want to do this because once you violate metal, there is no going back..
    I wish I did it sooner! it worked great.

I've never been to a Jeep jamboree. They have always been expensive and seemed more geared toward the soccer dads that wanted to take mom's jeep off road.

It also sounds like they don't want to scare people away by the 'ruffians on big tires'.

It is so funny that this came up! My 2wk venture is coming into focus. all sleeping will be indoors, and days will be spent climbing/hiking.

2 nights in sleepy hollow,ny
    2 nights in newport, ri
    2 nights in freeport
    3 nights at bay of fundy (nb canada)
    5 nights at bar harbor / acadia

I would have gotten a lot of info from AAA, but i got kicked out of their office because i had my dog with me, Why would they not allow a dog? They don't make/serve food.. I got pissed and left.

I've heard the Beehive trail is spectacular and it has iron rungs to help get you up there.
    This link has info on the trails and basic maps.
    http://www.acadiamagic.com/acadia-hiking-trails.html

I am also looking for a rock climbing place the would run some climbs, i'll post more when i get it.

you have to keep in mind that larger tires and not changing the speedo gear will leave you with deflated gas mileage. the best way to check is to use GPS and your odometer on a long trip and comparing the difference. My TJ is about 9/8 difference.

The last time i checked it was 13 mpg by the odo, 15.75 mpg in reality.
    01 tj 4.0 / 3.37 gears / 33 tires

i was researching this myself and found this guy that adds one more ground from the alt to the frame. Here's his explanation:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.