Posts by hzryr61

I was going to stay with the 32's. I was originally thinking of the 4.10, but i just have to justify to my wallet jumping 1 ratio. Will it be worth it?

Astape - Thanks for the info on RR! is that for skids too, or just mechanical stuff? Any opinion on Alloy USA? [color=rgb(19, 19, 19)][size=1.55em]

kevin[/size][/color]

I am thinking of shopping for a few things for mt 2001 TJ, and need advise. It has 5 spd / 6 cyl with the stock 3.73 axles and 32" tires. It feels sluggish and it never seems to be in the 'right gear'. I was thinking of going to 4.56,. or is 4.27 a better fit? Also, is one brand that much better then the other?

the next 'gift' was going to be shocks.. I'm looking at the Bilstein 5100 / Fox 2.0 / OME. What would be the best?

And if the bank isn't broken: i'm dreaming of a SYE, is the Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE a decent way to go?

This is my DD and I don't wheel much, and haven't wheeled this jeep,,, yet. ;D

Thanks,
    Kevin

[color=rgb(19, 19, 19)][size=1.55em][/size][/color]

It was in the snow, it was a bounce that was in sync with tire rotation. I can feel it very slightly in 2wd, but it was much more pronounced in 4wd. I'm also getting a 'clunking' sound when doing sharp turns, but that could be a lot of different things and not sure if it's related.

I don't have air tools, but i can go to a buddy's place, he has a real nice set-up.

I noticed a strange 'tug' on the steering wheel when turning in 4wd. I was going to replace the axle u-joints myself, but have never done it before. I have done drive shaft u-joints, but never pulled an axle. My mechanic wants to charge me $40 for the parts and $220 for labor...

How hard is it? I've checked out a few vids on youtube and it doesn't look all that bad. am i missing something or is it just time consuming?

this is on the 'new to me' 01 TJ.

Thanks,
    KJB

Good advice from E-Rock, especially on switching out shocks. I once had a customer say that his Jeep with RC suspension rode "like a tank" (I was so glad when he said the brand, since I knew that he didn't buy it from us!). Swapped him into the Rancho adjustable shocks and he was happy. just a suggestion..

Please do this first.. I was planning on rebuilding my leaf springs on my YJ until Whatevah suggested the same thing. WAY better ride for just a few bucks (and a lot less work).

The lower height was mostly for access. Also, the 'stuffed tire' look has grown on me..
    I did find JKS Front Adjustable Coil Over Spacers, but at ~$500 for the 4 corners - I'll pass!
    I do have to get rid of the chrome 'nerf step bars' it came with, so the Olympic step/guard is good option. In the long run 1.25 inches isn't THAT much, and the cost savings will be huge. Your advise has always been spot on... :up:
    Good things to think about while I wait for the spring thaw!
    Thanks!

Get a q-tec catalogue and see what you like. Their prices are good for retail, but you can search craigslist to see if you can get it 2nd hand.

- the mud option is real cheap,,, until you break something :bang:

I got my new-to-me TJ a few months ago. It came with 33's and a 2 inch lift (OME springs in the front, spacers in the back). I really like the height and the looks. But it looks like it would need 1 more inch to flex w/o the tires rubbing. I also have to take a total 'inventory I'd love to put OME springs in the back to match the front and add a 1in BB when wheeling.
    I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade some parts to go the extra inch (front/rear track bar relocation brackets, adjustable track bar, longer sway bar links, maybe drop pitman arm, SYE).

My biggest questions are:
    Are their shocks that can handle the 2 in lift on roads and 3 in lift on trails?
    Would it be too much work to add and remove the spacers every time I wheel (maybe 2x/yr)?
    Would the steering geometry set too high for road, and/or too low for trail?
    Is it even an option?
    Is this just a bad idea?

Thanks for the input,
    Kevin :driving:

and from what I hear the thicker sailcloth top can be a bit of a bear to get on when the sun goes down. Not a show stopper, but something to remember when you have the top off and it starts getting chilly.

I can never make the Saturday trail runs because i work Friday nights into Saturday morning. I really wanted to go on Saturday up to Anthracite on the 29th, but could not get off on Friday. I was wondering if anyone wants to go up on Sunday??

I would be looking to mostly greens, I got a new tj and want to break it in 'gently' LOL :driving: