Posts by JeepsRus

So the driveshaft are here and I started working on installing the tcase then I find out that the main/output shaft is 30 splines and too short, so now I need to find either a shot tranny to part out or buy the output shaft which is about $450... I don't know how hard it would be too swap that out but I'm willing to try it. On the other hand the shaft is so short that it wouldn't even engage into the tcase input. About a 3/8 gap in between the two. So I wonder of its viable to have a short shaft made to mate the two, and is 3/8 gap enough to not compromise strength in such a shaft, it would be about 2.5" long but there is definitely some play as to the outside thickness it could be...

So it happens that only automatic transmission JKs need the tcase adapter... all I had to go by was other write-ups and they all said an adapter was needed with a shorter tailshaft coming out of the tranny, the manual transmission is actually longer because the housing pictured above is where the tranny shifter is at, the automatic doesn't have that so thats why they use an adapter so they can mount to the crossmember and the tcase where the manual shifting housing would be.... so that is $300 less needed for this conversion.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

So I just finished installing the shifter assembly and cable.
    [img width=1200 height=675]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/zy3udeja.jpg[/img]

This is what it had covering the stick hole... [img width=1200 height=675]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/e4ynemym.jpg[/img]

When I lifted the console all the studs for the 4x4 shifter linkage were there... just needed to put the nuts in and done, the cable hole where it routes thru the frame had a cap in it you can just pop out and feed the cable through.

I just secured the cable and am waiting for the drive shafts to install the tcase...
    [img width=1200 height=675]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/ynygu5y9.jpg[/img]

Not sure how that cable is routed around the tranny there... a picture fo someone else's setup could help :) [img width=1200 height=675]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/desysuqe.jpg[/img]

I talked to coast and ordered some 1310s from them so they should be here by next Friday. So... Astape... ill just be waiting on you after that ;)

He showed the front yoke and this page was about a front axle swap....

I just gave an example, but thanks for playing Keith...

The page is actually about a 2x4 jeep conversion into a 4x4, swapping it requires a front axle, driveshafts and tcase component chages... so all in all its like doing a front axle swap and regear, a case and driveshaft upgrade and a rear axle regear. So after the lift, and the shaft length change from the 2x4 to the 4x4(because what it has right now is a driveshaft attached to the tranny with an adapter to mount it to it) I have a completely unknow dimension and angle that I have to know or adjust before ordering this shaft.

This is a picture of the 2x4 setup
    [img width=1200 height=675]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/13/qabu5e6a.jpg[/img]

If you look at the JKU setup it should have the tcase just after the crossmemeber with a skid plate. Which in mine it ends at the cross member. So my driveshaft is longer than the 4x4 hence my issue with knowing the right length. Im also completely oblivious as to what length the front should be... lol

Now I'm sure I'm just over complicating it and I can order any of those driveshafts that are rated for my lift. But I kinda want to absorb as much knowledge as I can before I go spending moolah!

It's lifted 4" but I didn't buy adjustable arms so im going to have to get those to adjust those angles. Yeah I keep seeing shafts that say for 3 - 6" lift and what not so I assume they telescope

Well im kinda talking about both, when installing the new tcase adapter and the tcase the length of the driveshaft changes from the original(non4x4) to what most people have on their JKUs.

In a sense, im just wondering what I should measure or do before I order a driveshaft. And it looks like im going to have to wait till everything is in so I can take a good measurement, unless there is a length to go by that I could use.

I was looking at my angles today and they seem to be angled just right

When you say adjust the pinion correctly do you mean the angle of attack againts the tcase or when the pinion shiming is done?

I don't know much about drive shafts and I see some of them ask for measurement of mine... they also mentioned collapsed length and extended length... now what I assumed was that driveshafts have in and out play since suspension movement changes length as is flexes or, am I wrong and they are all fixed lengths and need to be made to fit a specific measurement...