Posts by Lovely

My 4 cyl YJ didn’t have enough power to break anything........

Then you didn't try hard enough :D . I once hit a mud hole so fast in my 94 4 cyl. YJ that it literally ripped the exhaust off at the manifold. I have no idea how fast I was going when I hit it but it was so deep and soupy, it was like hitting a brick wall 55 mph! Those were my young and dumb days...now I avoid mud like the plague.

Been there, done that. Scares the hell out of you. Did the shaft mess up your floor at all?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Believe it or not, no. I knew EXACTLY what it was when it happened, so I pushed the clutch in and drifted off to the side of the road immediately. Also not my first rodeo with a busted driveshaft :D . The shaft ears and u-joint retainer tabs look fine. Other than the sheared strap bolt and a dent in the muffler, she made it out unscathed.

I'm hoping to get by with these stock shafts for now. I have a t-18 (granny 1st) that I'm saving up to rebuild and install. That will necessitate driveshaft modification at which point I'll probably just order custom Tom Woods :tup: .

Took the Jeep out for a spin tonight and doing 55 down Elkton Newark road the driveshaft cut loose. Boom! Pulled the rear shaft and drove it home in 4WD (front wheel drive). I’ll be ordering a rear yoke u-bolt Kit and all new 1310 joints for sure. I’ve been meaning to get around to it, this is good motivation.

">
    ">

The HEI distributor will send a nice clean tach signal for the TBI injection. I installed the Howell setup last year and it is a huge improvement also. I'm working on getting a datalogging setup for it so that I can get a custom chip burned for it. Howell has good customer service, and will re burn the chip once for free if you supply them with some data.
    Your Jeep looks like it's really nice, it's always cool to see another CJ around!

I ordered the ignition tonight. I'll catch up with you about a time to install it as soon as it comes in! Thanks again!

Hey all, long shot but here it goes: I am looking to upgrade my ignition on my 76 CJ5 with a 304 V8. The pre-78 Prestolite ignitions appear to be less cut and dry as their motorcraft sourced newer counterparts. I've found tons of information regarding the later (Team Rush mainly), with parts lists and DIY write ups. Conversely, I've found little to nothing for my vintage.

By chance, has anyone here performed a similar ignition upgrade on their pre-78? If so, could you walk me through it?

Thanks in advance!

It's more the "first" inspection thing. Maryland has a 1 time inspection before registering. If you don't have to change registration, it's good for life (still need reoccurring emissions depending year). Mild modifications won't hurt you, but major (suspension) is cause for failure. Once it's inspected it's a different story but I've heard of people getting "fix it" tickets for lack of maintenance and excessive modifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, everything he just said. Once you get it through the first time, you are generally good to go. Jeeps tend to be pretty immune from "fix it" tickets for some reason. Now, slam your civic and you won't make it two weeks

Thanks for the welcome y'all. Is it just me or is it really quiet around here these days? Seemed like there used to be a lot more traffic back in the day..?

Welcome back! You need to post some pics of this new beauty!

Sorry for the lack of pics. I tried linking it to google photo but must have failed. I forgot how to upload to the Gallery here, I think it's members only if I'm not mistaken.

I'll figure it out...

After a few years off, I'm back in a Jeep. I just picked up this 1976 CJ-5 today from the second owner! He flew to Arkansas in 2015 to buy it from the original owner. He wanted a rust free foundation to do a frame off restoration. It's a numbers matching drivetrain (304, T-150, Dana 20), true Levi's Edition Renegade. Thankfully there aren't any remnants of the Levi's Edition aside from the dash which I'm going to pull and paint black. It's an all metal tub (no filler) painted back to the original paint code. I'd call it a "driver quality" restoration. It's nice but not too nice to drive like a Jeep. Only mods planned so far are to begin an immediate de-blinging (removing the stainless double tube bumpers, hinges, latches, etc.). This winter I plan on performing the DUI ignition upgrade with the Howell fuel injection kit. Can't wait!

Man, I never dreamed it would be this difficult to find a wrangler that wasn't completely beat for under 10K. I've probably looked at a dozen Jeeps in the past two weeks and every single one had significant rot. It's mostly been frame and fenders, some floor boards and few rockers.

What is really pissing me off is the guys that claim their Jeep is "rust free" only to find they've covered it up. I looked at one yesterday and specifically asked about frame rot, the guy assured me the frame was "clean". I get there to find a frame that had been freshly coated in POR15 ::) . I went to the back section where the shackle bolts to the frame (YJ) and take my fingernail and pick off the glob that had formed next to it...viola...a little hole. I took my finger and poked the little hole, it crumbled and went right through. Shady, shady people. That is about the 3rd or 4th one I've looked at where the seller just coats the rotting frame with something black and shiny and calls it "rust free".

The search painstakingly continues...

There is a Wrangler that I saw a couple weeks ago that might meet this criteria located on Federal School lane right off of Delaware Route 9. If you want I can drive by and see if it's still there and get you the phone number. I didn't see it on CL or anything

That would be awesome. I'll take any leads I can get!