Posts by Lovely

Hey all, it's been awhile but I'm looking to rejoin the ranks. I've been throwing money at boats for the past few years, but I want to get back into a Jeep. What I'm looking for:

- 91-06, 6 cyl., manual transmission, not yellow, clean and clear title.

I prefer something stock to near stock because I will have to get it through Maryland state inspection (no suspension modifications allowed). My one MAJOR requirement is no rot! I'm looking to stay under 10 grand and have cash. Shoot me a PM if you have, or know of one. Thanks in advance!

As it says. Looking for a clean XJ, not a project. Something with a mild lift and no more than 31s would be considered. Please let me know if you have one, or know of one. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll drive anywhere necessary to have quality work done as it's rare to find these days.

So long story short the wife's JK met an untimely demise. We are in the market for a replacement and I've always been intrigued by the CRD Liberty. Based upon the reading and research I've done it appears the VM Motori 2.8 is a solid performer once a few maintenance/modifications items are addressed. Id like some real world feedback from any owners here. Also, I know it needs a 100K timing belt replacement, so does anyone know of a good diesel/vm motori mechanic I could trust. From what I understand many of the "issues" these motors have are based on incompetent Chrysler mechanics that are clueless with this short lived diesel platform. Educate me.

I read the thread topic and got all excited about being able to chime in with "what I found in Jeep". Little did I know it was going to be all a spelling and grammar...booooring. Ah, nobody would have wanted to hear about the time I bought a used XJ and found a bag weed under the back seat during it's first thorough cleaning. Well...I got halfway through the first cleaning, and then I spent the rest of night eating nachos and watching a "How it was Made" marathon...it was weird.

A little off topic but has any JK owners burnt through a set of rear brakes before the fronts? I'm still on my front pads but the rears were changed 10,000 miles ago. The parts guy laughed and said he knew all about it. News to me. :o

We will undoubtedly go down this road as well since my wonderful wife habitually sets the emergency brake..in our LEVEL two car garage. Just about every time I jump in it, I get all the way out of the garage and turned around before I realize it. I guess I shouldn't complain about a woman driver being too safe... :safeyet

They are Chrysler products, how is this breaking news? Along the same lines, this just in...water is wet. My wife's 09 JK has had a no start this past winter (attributed to a faulty sensor), an oil leak at the dummy sensor, a leaking front u-joint, and it's most recent development, a noticeable rough idle. I should also mention it currently has 24 k on the clock and the extent of it's "off road" has been surf fishing. I'd say we are right on par.

Long story short the wife’s 2009 JK (20,000 miles) decided to not start the other day. We left church, filled up with gas, I got back in, turned the key....nothing. No noise, click, starter, anything. A few dummy lights were lit up on the dash, one of which was a red security light that I had never seen before. Her Jeep is a stripped model; no power anything, including keyless security, so this was puzzling. After a few minutes of panic and reading the owners manual to no avail I Google the problem on my phone and came across a TSB that is spot on with our problem. TSB here:

NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A
    GROUP: Electrical
    DATE: July 04, 2008
    SUBJECT:
    No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM
    MODEL:
    2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
    NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH 0505XX).
    OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if equipped, the replacement of the Electric steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).
    SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

I unhooked the battery, reconnected it as per internet forum instruction, and it started. That worked this time, but it is my understanding this problem may get worse, and even then the battery trick will not work. The thought of my wife and kids being stranded in a dark, cold, parking lot for hours on end waiting for a tow is unnerving to say the least, so I'd like to be proactive and get the module replaced under warranty. However, I've been told unless the dealer sees the problem, or pulls a code (impossible with the battery cable pulled to restart) they will not fix it. Can anyone help me out here?
    [size=3] [/size]

I guess this is kind of jeep related...I found out my truck has the same sealed beam headlights as the XJ and YJ (H6054). I was looking to upgrade the lighting since in it's current form it is TERRIBLE so I was hoping some of you have already done this and can recommend a path forward. Some folks on the truck forum suggested this route: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744, however they say I should also upgrade my headlight with an aftermarket relay set up. I found a few universal relay set ups but they are PRICEY! What have you all done?

Welcome to the club Kent. I found this place years ago (and many Jeep projects ago...) and it has been a great group of people who are always eager to lend a hand. The CJ is gorgeous and I love the build blog, that is a very nice touch. I enjoyed seeing it in the parking lot at work and as I told you on Friday, it caught my eye the minute I stepped out the door. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! :up:

Not at all. Spider gears will come out, the Aussie goes in it's place. I have nothing but good to say about the Aussie. I wheeled mine HARD (chromoly shafts, 33s) and I have literally bounced my front end with it turned to full bind on numerous occasions and somehow the shafts and Aussie survived four hard years of black trails.