Posts by Lovely

Matt,
    I had never messed with drum brakes before my Wrangler and all I did was go out and buy a Haynes manual to help me. I know Haynes is not typically the best repair manual but for $15.00 it saved me a ton of money on doing the brakes myself. The fist side was kind of a pain, but by the time I got to the other side it was a breeze. I did find that having needle nose vice grips were key in getting a couple of the springs back on and the retainers as well. The manual was very good and and had several pictures to aid me in the process. Overall I would highly recommend the manual and doing it yourself.
    Steve

I would be all for starting out on some greens and easy blues to kick the day off. That's what we did last time we went to Paragon and it was a great confidence builder for me personally. I have only been on one organized run, this would be the second so a little seat time before we get into the hairy stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all, hope we can get enough interest up to make a trip out of it.
    Steve

I saw on the calender this a "hard-core" and a "modified" run planned for this weekend but no one but Andrew is signed up. Is anyone planning on attending because I would be interested in the modified run. Thanks all!
    Steve

I never really thought about calling the dealership. Every time I have to deal with them it just pisses me off. I've yet to find one where I don't think everyone there is a complete moron! I will give it a try though. Thanks again!

How do I know what gears I have from the factory? It is a 95 Sahara with the 6 cyl. and a five speed. Was there basically one gear set they used for all 6 cyl. five speeds? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Hey all, after adding my 33's I would like to correct the speedometer error now. I know it is off by 10 mph at 50 mph (60 mph) so it's just a matter of time before it get me in trouble and I don't need any help with that! I have also heard that by throwing off the speedo and rpms you will hurt you performance as well. I noticed in Quadratec there are two different methods of achieving this, one is a gear that gets installed at the tranny according to the gearing and tire sized you have. The other (and much more expensive) one is electronic and splices into you factory wiring. Have any of you guys tried either, and if so what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Not to jack the thread but why do people hate the Black Diamond ones? I bought one for my YJ but have yet to put it on due to the fact the factory hardware is so rusted in place it's going to have to be ground down and drilled out (oh the fun of working on a Jeep).

Gotta' say not guilty, a rule is a rule, fair and square. I may be a little partial though, one of those obscure rules saved my butt about a month ago! :tdown:

Hey, I am planning on pulling a small open trailer for all of our camping supplies and gear (if I did not mention my wife and son are coming, I could pack in a ziplock bag!) and I was wondering if we camp at the "old" spot and have to take a trail in will I be able to pull the trailer in? I would rather not beat the crap out of it so I guess I could find another solution between now and then (roof rack or something), if necessary so any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am very interested in going up and wheeling on Saturday day and then coming home sometime in the eve. It would be nice to travel up together, do you all think we could pick a time and place to meet?

I went with the spare tire carrier mount from Quadratec and mine works great. I tested it one day with a buddy and we ended up being five miles apart before it started to break up. Hope this helps.
    Steve

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. Someone mentioned along the way (previous thread somewhere) that if I do a SYE I will be able to remove the xfer case drop all together. This sounds like a good all around fix for the vibes, engine tilt and not to mention eliminating the risk of pulling the driveshaft out on the trail. This is the most expensive way to go (I would need help on the install or have to pay to have it done), but the most thorough. After completing the first wave of mods. to the Jeep I am tapped out right now so the SYE will have to wait so should I just suck it up and hold out 'till I can afford it? Does anyone know of a reputable shop to do the job that won't charge me a fortune? Thanks again everyone!

I did install axle shims in the rear to help with the vibes but they are still there on start up but after about 5 mph they go away. I think once it gets a little cooler (too hot to work on things if you don't have to), I will invest in the daystar mounts. I know they are not cheap but I'm sure it would be a good long term investment.

Hey all, I was just thinking after installing my lift some time ago as well as the transfer case lowering kit, won't the lowering of the tranny and transfer case cause unwanted stress on the motor mounts? It seems this increased angle, couple with older mounts and new found abuse is a recipe for a problem. How have yours been holding up, and have you guys had a problem? Just a thought, any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ha! Just found my saving grace, went back and checked the official rules and addendum number 4 states: Must have a member sticker to be in the game. Though I do have my trail badge, I do not as of yet have my member sticker (as I stated previously). Ladies and gentlemen as in the great judicial system......theres always a loopole! Sometimes I impress myself :yevil: .

Do you officially have to have a DEJA "member" sticker on your ride to count? I don't have the sticker yet (just joined officially last week), but I hope to get it at this Sundays meeting. I know I am being trivial at this point but it my last ditch effort at falling back on a technicality!