Posts by moshjarcus

For the curious, you can go online and request a build sheet of your Jeep directly from Jeep. Buying one used I was curious if mine once had a soft top....which of course magically doesn't anymore. Also gives you all sorts of fun info. Here's mine -

http://www.jeep.com/jeepcares

We've all made our mistakes before buying things we shouldn't have and regretting it. With the JK I will not make the same mistakes, mind you I was only 18 fresh out of high school when I bought my brand new TJ. What lessons have you learned in your Jeep experiences??

Here's mine:

-Do the lift right the first time - I went from a BB with 32's, to a used 3.5RE with multiple sets of 33's with no SYE, then an SYE, then blew an D35 axle TWICE and ended up driving all the way to Ohio to buy a new D44. Was it fun? Looking back - NO, at the time....still wasn't fun. My theory is, if I want a Clayton premium kit and that's my end goal then just save my money, have some patience and do the end goal.

-Small accessories like grab handles are to be bought in person, not from a catalog.

-Don't be like a kid at Christmas and rip open the box as soon as it gets delivered, because then you loose pieces. Open it later and inventory your items.

-When re-gearing, make sure you open the box of gears and make sure you have the SAME gears. Nothings worse than giving it to someone to re-gear and get a phone call saying they aren't the same.

-Don't hack it or rig it if you don't have the right tools - do it right the first time.

-Shop your deals - reach out to other forums and get in touch directly vendors. Nothing was more painful than to see a significantly cheaper price a day after I ordered something.

Keep an eye out on Delaware humane too.....we got one of our labs from there, and every once and awhile I've seen pure labs pop up on their site.

She's a lab/greyhound mix....at least suspected.

Ended up buying a Macbook Pro......just so tired of Windows 8. I think it also has something to do with the hardware in the laptop I had...

Seriously, I'm very seriously considering going back to Mac. It is VERY frustrating. Then I get this lovely SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error, and it restarts my computer.

It's essentially windows way of saying "Blue screen of death."

I cannot begin to explain, how much I absolutely HATE windows 8. Anyone else dislike it?

I know some will say "Oh, you will get used to it,..." but I am first to say, converting to a mac was 10 times easier, and this is just a disaster of an operating system.

Granted I'm using a cheap Compaq, it doesn't seem to get better anywhere.

Who uses it and actually enjoys it?

First chance I get, I'm going back to a mac!

I had a dana 35, with 3.73 gears and 285/75/R16's......and lost all my top end. Then after about 80,000 miles (kit went on in the 4,000's) I blew the spider gears - no lockers on either end. Replaced them, then another 1000 miles or so I did it again. I had really wanted to do a D44 and regear, so I took the dive. I found a deal on Ebay, which the guy was clueless about what he was selling because it was his fathers, and drove to Ohio 16 hours round trip to buy this axle. It was a D44 from a TJ with 4.11 gears.

Ended up putting the axle in, re geared, and never had a problem. Sold the Jeep at 110,000 miles with the same tires and lift.

My advice - if you want 35's, just upgrade the axle first. It was not fun to do it and be in a pinch with no DD.

Who cares how or where a lift or any other mod was done on a jeep??? If someone spends 20k on bolt on parts, If someone spends 5k on 24" wheels, or if someone spends countless hours fabbing there own parts, they do it because they love owning a jeep...I wave to every open body jeep... Could care less if they wave back or not though 80% do and most of that 80% is the mall-crawling soccer mom JK owners

Amen! I don't know much about my JK, it came with a small lift and big rims and tires, but I'm very content with it. Everyone has different ideas behind their jeeps! I'm honestly going to say I like my JK way better than I liked my old TJ, and I like I don't have to always be fixing something with only a minor lift. (Granted mines a mall crawler and it will probably barely see off road for awhile)