Posts by MaxCJ

I was just offered a 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L that has some drivetrain damage but a solid engine. I would like to swap that into my 1984 CJ7 4.2L, to give me the ability to pass emissions testing and a few other benefits.

First: Does anyone know of a place or person that could do that swap reliably, and not break the bank?

Second: Does anyone have advice or previous experience with this swap that would help me make this decision (I will of course be searching previous posts)?

Third: Before the vultures start swooping; I will of course be figuring out what other parts I can pass along to interested parties. And yes, my 4.2L will be available once the swap is complete, and its a fairly new engine and carb. Runs great, just mission all the damned annoying 1984 CJ emissions crap (hence my need for the swap).

Thank you to any and all constructive assistance.

I was going to plastidip them, but they were so ugly I would have had to sand them anyway. I have the cans of plastidip, so I may try it out on the fenders to see if I like the color, before I commit to the needed paint job.

The fold and tumble is light grey, but its missing some hardware on the hinges and mounts. Its a minor fab project for a future day. I think I will keep it and try to make it work.

But now that I think about it... I will take some pics of it tomorrow, and if you still want it I would do a swap.

The fold and tumble is light grey, but its missing some hardware on the hinges and mounts. Its a minor fab project for a future day. I think I will keep it and try to make it work.

That was the darkest before black. Maybe hit it with a coat of black, then while wet, the grey. It dries so fast I don't know if it will make a difference. The previous color was so washed out, that I am thrilled with the somewhat close match.

It seems to soak into the fabric, not just coat it (like regular paint would). The paint is designed for fabric, carpet, etc... Pretty cheap, and shipped free from Amazon. May use on a fold and tumble rear seat I have that doesn't match.

I painted my old beat up Bestop soft doors to more closely match my soft top. I used [size=small]Dupli-Color HVP111 Charcoal Gray High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Spray - 11 oz. Minimal fabric prep (just wiped them down), taped off everything I didn't want painted, two coats, and done. Dries super fast, looks very even. Repainted handles flat black Rustoleum.
    [/size]
    [size=78%][img alt=Displaying IMG_20140409_130239.jpg]https://lh4.googleusercontent.…Vbovdsj6BXReHA=w1328-h603[/img][/size]

I've had the same problems. I bought reflective side maker lights and stuck them to the side with double-sided tape. Wired them in, left wires exposed. They didn't have a problem with them, and I refined the look later. Gas cap, new every two.

Ok, so I replaced the pump today. Pulling the pully off the old and pressing it onto the new was quite an effort. And it ran perfectly. No leaks or squeaks. Then an hour later my jeep doesn't start, sounds and acts like a low battery. Nothing was left on, all connections are good, and no visible shorts or disconnections. It's always something isn't it? Troubleshooting tomorrow.

I'm replacing the pump today with an oem rebuilt part. Wish me luck. I don't think those bolts have moved since 1984, so it could be a profanity filled project.

Thanks Astape! I figured since I wasn't doing any hard wheeling I could go with a basic pump. I will likely be doing a full 4.0 head, comp, etc swap soon if you hear of a good donor.