Posts by jeepman

tranny is either a t-176 or a t-4.the t-176 stick is somwhat straight and the t-4 is curved.both take the dana 300 t/c.as far as gears,there should be a tag on the front cover between 2 bolts that will tell you,if not on the back rear,on the pass. side,back side of the rear just to the right of the round pot cover there is a 3/4 or so shollow pocket.on the flat area next to that is one or two letters stamped into rear on the flat area,let me know what it is and i can tell you what you have.as far as a hard top and doors, i have some and a bunch of other parts.just trying to help out.

i put an aj"s body on my cj7 when i built it but they are no longer in buissness.it is a shame too ,i never seen a glass body as strong and smooth as it is.

one of two things might have happened,as slimer said,take the shifter out.the top retainer is spring loaded,just push it down and turn counter-clockwise,then look down where shifter goes,all 3 of the slots should be in line which means the tranny is in neutral.if they are not in line you can move them with a screwdriver and be sure when you put shifter back in that it goes into slot.if that is all in right position and it still will not shift,the detents on the syncronizers came out of the grooves that they ride in,which means tranny needs to come apart.

the j-10 and j-20s have that 5 inch adaptor plate on it because it is a truck,but it will work,i have the same set up in a cj 5,but driveshafts will be way to long.i have done a few of these so feel free wiyh any questions.

t-5s are rated as light duty,the t-18 is the best choice, or a t-176,it is rated as med. duty.i have a t-5 4-sale but it is not enough tranny for that motor.good luck.

i have had much worse looking jeeps than that brought to me to work on.it looks better than i thought it would.p.s. i am finally getting caught back up{almost}so maybe by next week-end we can do your swap,lets see how things go .