Posts by shorebird

I'm up for either park, but guiding at Anthracite is difficult (especially with snow on the ground) since they didn't have the type of map we're familiar with or trails marked for vehicle type. Does anyone know if this has changed?

1. Stafford
    2. Hardkor, Javagirl
    3. skeets682, black rubi
    4. JKGray10 (pending my new to me tires are mounted)
    5. Slowpoke - Anthracite
    6. E-Rock - maybe
    7. ForMud
    8. Astape
    9. Daddanelena
    10. Shorebird

Great ride, but a little wet! (especially the ride home) We had 6 Jeeps, 3 running blue/ black and 3 running green/blue. We were able to stay together most of the time with the higher group splitting off at times to run some blacks. We ran Trail C to CV Trail, then Trail O. I decided to run TaTas Trail, the higher group ran the black section and I guided the others on the main trail, which I found out now extends around to Trail C unfortunately this was not on the map I was given at the office (Remember Geoff you cant fire me). Hopefully my third and last time on that trail! We got back together with the others and they ran Tomb Stone and we went to the lunch spot for lunch where they joined us. This is when it started to rain. We rode around Lake Christy and on to the Quarry. A rock slide has blocked some of the obstacles and another group was lunching there so we climbed a hill or two and left. We proceeded to the Power Line and down to the 12's on the West Property. We ran 12a,12c,and 12b and then started to work our way back to the office running the Pole Line where I chose to run into a mud hole and Wayne winched me out, it wasn't that deep, so no problems. We finished off the day with the Three Hills, C, A to L3 and back to the parking lot. There are a lot of trail and terrain changes due to the logging project, also you have to enter the Trails through the Comp course or down past the old registration entrance not through the camping area.

Thanks for all the input. I check and grease the u-joints (and everything else) before every ride, but I realized that I hadn't changed them in probably 8 years so, yes, I'm gonna replace them and see what happens. It doesn't sound like a suspension or body noise, but I haven't ruled out that possibility.

I have an occasional clicking noise in my rear diff that is not the normal Lock-rite ratcheting while turning, but is similar, and seems to be happening while driving in a straight line on a rough road. I've attempted to dip the diff with a magnet and found no metal, pulled the passenger rear wheel and checked the drum brake stuff and pulled the axle (old style D-35 non c-clip) to check the splines and to look for metal fragments. I haven't had time to pull the diff cover, and was looking for some opinions before I got into it. I may have to see if Aaron has any evenings available and make the trip to Wilmington.

Stafford pretty well covered it other than our experience while he and Wayne were on the black trail. We planned to loop around and meet up with Stafford and Wayne. I chose a trail that looked rather wide at the entrance and continued that way until we encountered two trees in the trail which may have allowed enough room for my YJ to pass through, but not for the ZJ or the JKs. I took an alternate line over a tricky little hump which I made with no problem, but it got progressively more slippery as it was driven on. Chrystal (Freckles) was the last to get around it, and although she slid into the tree on the first attempt was able to get through with direction and a very light foot. At this point John's ZJs 4WD was acting up and the hump had almost turned to ice. We tried to winch him around but he continued to slide into the tree. A decision was made to send John and the remainder of the group back while the 3 of us that got by continued and met up with Stafford and Wayne. With the help of the intersection markers we were able to reassemble the group.