Posts by surfin

-4.0, 6cyl -Manual
    -169k miles
    -Rubicon Express 6" LA w/ custom suspension
    -35" tires w/ spare -little to no rust
    -New Quadratec soft top
    -New clutch at 167k
    -New slave and master assembly
    -$5500 OBO Text me or call for more info 610-716-9859. Jeep is located in New Castle, DE

-4.0, 6cyl
    -Manual
    -169k miles
    -Rubicon Express 6" LA w/ custom suspension
    -35" tires w/ spare
    -little to no rust
    -New Quadratec soft top
    -New clutch at 167k
    -New slave and master assembly
    -$6k OBO

Text me or call for more info 610-716-9859. Located in New Castle, DE

Well before doing anything....check and clean the PCM connector pins. :bang:

Mine were green and gunked. So I used some electronic cleaner and a toothbrush on the pins...jeep fired up very smooth and no CEL.

97 wrangler 4.0.

So here is where I stand with my issues. I experienced cranking last weekend but no turnover. It threw the codes P0122, P0123, P0505, P1296, P0441. Here is a list of the codes. https://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/codes/ (I know it says 98 but the issues are the same)

What I first did was unbolt the IAC and all connections and cleaned the IAC. I also put a new gas cap on. Then I started the jeep with no luck. Same thing...cranking but no turnover. Then, I went to NAPA and picked up a new TPS. Upon installation, the jeep started up but the idling was different. It was fluctuating a bit and getting real close to stalling . I ran it for about 15 mins at idle and did a quick loop around the block. Everything seemed fine...or so it seemed.

I was driving down 13 and between 1st and 2nd gear, it stalled and CEL popped up. I got 14 and 24 codes from the dash and P0122 and P1296 from the OBDII.

Does this behavior make sense to anyone? What are the next steps? Should I Just replace the MAP sensor and see what happens? Also, last week I installed 2 LED lights from the battery directly to a switch but I don't see this having caused the problems.

I am by no means an expert, especially electrically, so anyone assistance will help. The Jeep is currently sitting at a buddy's house near Silverside Rd and 13.

Thanks for reading this.

Huh, i thought i pm'ed u back. I can do the clutch one night during the week, but my weekends are full for a few weeks. Did u get the parts? Is it drivable at all?

No worries. Should have the parts by next week. Not driveable. The clutch won't disengage so when I turn it on in gear with the clutch depressed, it starts going.

Hey. I am looking for someone to help me out with changing out my clutch. I do not want to mess with it, nor do I have the expertise or the tools to do it. But I would like to help out and learn how to do it. I can have the Jeep towed wherever. I live in New Castle right now. I messaged Astape but have not heard back.

If anyone has any referrals or what not, let me know.

Thanks,

A Stranded Jeeper

Awesome, I will stop by Sevys today on my drive home.

Ideally, I want to help with this and see how it is done, so I sent astape a message. Thanks for the help.

Astape can. Not sure when he has an opening on a lift but a lot of us go to him with Jeep woes and modifications.

I need to talk to him about about some work actually.

As for commercial garages, Sevy's on Christiana Road (rt 273) is very trustworthy and reputable. I take my newer vehicles there for stuff I don't want to do.

The master is full and no signs of leaks or breaks. I replaced both with a prebled assembly. It seems that it is mechanical from everything I have been trying.

Its a 97 so the slave will be external. U can get a prebled master and save for around 150. Its 2 bolts on the trans and 2 more on the firewall with a pushrod clip. Not hard to replace but some times its hard to reach the bolts.

Understood.

Yes. I can shift with the engine off. Just did it with no issues. However, when I put it into reverse, clutch depressed and turned it on, it went back with the clutch fully depressed and had to shut off the engine to get it to stop. Still cannot shift with the engine on.

I am just new with this so I have no real good idea what it could be unless someone can look at it.

Because u replaced it doesnt mean that its not the issue. Can u put it in gear with the truck off, push clutch in and start the jeep. If the jeep moves with the starter then the hydros r not pushing the clutch back. If that is the case its either the hydros [slave , master or both], or something mechanical to the clutch has failed. I have seen both through out bearings seize and pressure plates fail.

If the jeep doent move with the starter but u still cant shift then its usually a mechanical issue.

97 TJ 168k

Went out last night to take the Jeep for a spin, turned on fin, went to put it into reverse and instantaneous grinding. I couldn't shift into any other gears. When the Jeep was off I could shift into gear.

Anyone have any insight into this issue? I am assuming it is a clutch problem.