Posts by brihvac

Its definitely not in backwards. I triple checked it. I have no problems pulling it but don't want to go in and do something that is not the issue and put it back together and its still like that. Its a Luk clutch and its marked right on the disc "flywheel side"

I just finished my clutch job and my TJ is making noise when I press the clutch in. Its quiet when I let it out. I have not driven it just started it in the garage and rolled it slightly in gear. Its a Luk kit with new flywheel. I did not use the throwout bearing that came with the kit; I used a National bearing because it was all steel. The one in the kit has a plastic sleeve. I am assuming it is a throwout issue because I can not see how you can screw up installing the clutch itself on the fly wheel. I cleaned the mating surface good, used the alignment tool, flywheel side is facing flywheel, and torqued the bolts down to 23ftlbs. I am going to take it back apart and check everything as well as change the throwout to the one that came with the kit. Other than that I have no idea what it can be. Here is a video. The noise happens when the clutch is pushed IN and is quiet when it is OUT. Any advice?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just watched a bunch of YouTube videos. Dude I'm ready! Did some research on clutches and a lot of people like the LUK 01-040. Amazon has it for $83 shipped. One thing LUK has that wwch99tj pointed out is that it has the plastic throw out bearing. In the Amazon reviews that was the only complaint from people because they were supposedly causing noise. The all steel National bearing is only $20 from Advanced with the discount. Maybe I will order the LUK. Complete with the steel throw out bearing I will have a hair over $100 in the clutch kit. From the videos I have seen the hardest part looks like it would be putting the trans back in. None of the videos I saw actually showed them re-installing the transmission, installing the throw out bearing, or pilot bearing. Looks like it would be difficult lining up the input shaft, splines, and marrying the trans back to the motor. I guess that's where the extra hands come in.

I will be away between Feb 4th thru the 11th and won't be available until Sunday the 12th. Thanks

I'm in no hurry. Gonna bring the Jeep up and put the water pump on then it will be sometime after that

If you get a transmission jack, be careful it's not too high! Sounds crazy, but mine starts out at over four feet, and by the time you get a transmission on it it can be too tall to roll it out from under the vehicle.
    Heated garage is definitely awesome, lets you get all the garage work done in winter to be able to play all summer!

I might see if I can borrow one for now until I free up some extra money to buy one. My lift goes up pretty high but I have to remember my engine support might not.

it will be evening work but it might be mext weekend. ill try to update as i know more.

The weekend would be better for me anyway. Hey, is there a way to check the clutch to see if it needs replacement? The only thing I notice is when I am in gear accelerating it sounds like a bearing noise when starting out. When doing a clutch do you also have to resurface/replace the flywheel?

That clutch you linked is the one I have, I'd suggest that you get an all metal throw out bearing and not even the ones that came with it.
    The one pictured is the one I got

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How do you like the clutch? I am not off roading only on the beach. Advanced sells that bearing for $34. There is a coupon code for 40% off. The clutch and that throwout bearing would be $113

gonna be doing a clutch on a yj which is gonna be real similar to a tj this week. if i figure out when ill try to remember to post up and maybe u can stop by.

Thats cool. You doing it during the day or in the evening after work?

Hey, out of curiosity what do you guys think of this for a clutch? I can get it for $91
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.c…h-set-mu117-1b/19330003-P

I appreciate everyone volunteering to help. I am probably gonna take you guys up on it mostly for an extra set of hands. In the next couple weeks I am gonna bring it back from the beach because I want to put a new water pump, stat, and hoses on seeing mine are original with 172K miles on it. I need to buy a transmission jack.

ALSO: note that my garage is heated and I have a lift, so none of us will be cold, thirsty, hungry, or working on our backs.

Jerry, just sent my membership forms

I have built numerous muscle cars and street rods. All auto's. When I was younger I was not afraid to tear into anything, but as I got older I became more cautious on doing things I know nothing about. However, show me something once and I will never forget it. I had a situation years ago where I caused more damage than good, on a house project, and ended up spending more than double to straighten it out than if I would have paid someone to do it in the first place. I think that made me gun shy on everything that is foreign to me.
    My frame is perfect and I just had the skid plate down to do the Novak 4X4 cable shift and transfer case drop.
    And no they did not pay me anything at the shop, really didn't want anything but Jeep knowledge. However....not even a thank you; but that is an entirely different story that pisses me off every time I think about it because there is even more too it that is totally unbelievable.

All I have for help is my wife. My few friends know 0% about cars. I did watch some videos clips but they left some stuff out like throw out bearings, etc. I was down the beach for a weeks vacation and even donated my time to a garage that does mostly Jeep work hoping to get a clutch job but ended up doing motor mounts, valve cover gaskets, and aftermarket bumper installations all week. One came in the last day of the week that needed a clutch but I couldn't stay. Mines still going for now so I will keep my ears open for someone who is doing a clutch and ask to help.

A clutch kit should be under $150. The job is doable in a driveway with a few jack stands and some basic tools. Even if you buy some tools, your are still ahead of the game. If not , shop around, you should be able to save a few dollars. There are a few guys that do work on the board here.

I have plenty of tools and a lift in my garage. However, I have never done one before so I know nothing about it, or where to start, which is why I was going to pay someone. Would love to do it for $150 and to have the experience for when I do it again. I had been volunteering my lift to a few people from SDJC that were doing their clutch just so I could watch, and help, for when I had to do mine. But they were too far south and didnt want to drive up. I did shop around for prices and around $600 is what everyone is.

Was wondering what the life expectancy of my 97 TJ's transmission is. Someone was telling me my clutch is going because there is so much travel in it. Got me thinking of how long the trans itself should last. I dont know if anything was ever done to it in its 172K miles. Believe it is an AX5. If I get a clutch put in ($650) was wondering if I should get the trans rebuilt too. Jeep is in great shape so I plan on keeping it as long as possible.

What a suprise, a store told you a lie that would result in them getting more money. ;)
    Sadly, there are a lot of mis-informed folks out there when it comes to firearm laws. Some CCDW instructors tell folks that after you have a carry permit, you can no longer open carry (100% false, btw), and those are instructors!

That actually pisses me off they told me that because I have bought a few guns from private parties and went to a dealer for transfer when I didn't have too. I rarely deal with Xring but didnt think they would lie on something like that.
    Heres my one Xring story:
    When the Glock 43 was coming out they put me on the waiting list for one. They gave me a price but said they do not take deposits and they will just call when it is in. About 2 months later they called and said I was up and they had one for me. I went in to buy it and at the cash register they went to charge me $125 more than what they had told me when I was put on the list (I wrote down the price). The guy was actually shocked when I told him I did not want it anymore. Bought a 19 instead at a different place.

On a side note I like my LC9 and I have the clip that just screws on to the side of it instead of a holster. I just clip it onto my pocket so the gun is in the pocked itself.

adjustable control arms are so you can set the pinion angle. when you lift the jeep and don't rotate the axle, the pinion doesn't point to the t-case anymore and if the angle between the pinion and the drive shaft is too great, you will get vibes and fast wear on u-joints.

Should I be ok with stock arms seeing I have a 2" spacer lift? Will I need an alignment after doing the control arms?

LOL No problem. Hey!! I got beer and I'm fat which means I have plenty of food.......Come on over when I do it. LOL. Your seasoned at bushings. I got a lift so we wont be on the ground

How much of a bitch is it to do front control arm bushings on a 97 TJ? I have watched some You Tube videos and I see all different kinds of ways to do it from torches to chisels. From what I see the ones on the axle are the hardest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

True but your original post just mentioned control arms. Seemed like axle bushings were an after thought.

Axle bushings were not an after thought, and were mentioned. I got plenty of hammers, chisels, and the blue tipped wrench. Gonna give it a try over the holidays. If I get struck I will see if someone will help me.