DeJA C&D Canal Clean - Sat., Sept 30!-INFO ADDED

• the canal is pretty easy to navagate. for the most part most of the side roads are just dead ends for the hunters. other than that the low, mid, high roads willl all join back together.....

• Today went South Side of the St. Georges....from there I went EAST (towards the entrance of the canal) and found some trash about halfway to the end....(just some stuff to walk around real quick from the fisherman it appears....and then some trash all the way at the end of that where it ends. Easily 2 people in Jeeps could handle it...if they stopped and just walked around for a few minutes.

I went all the way back past the St. Georges...WEST...and I didn't see much on the main road. There was a little trash (not sure what it was) between the railroad bridge and the Summit Bridge, but I turned around around the Summit. There are a lot of roads that go up and down along that area...and I wasn't a 100% on them and where they led.

Whatevah said somethign about Tires? Tryin to get an idea of where those are?

• Ok...as of right now...I've got 4-5 trucks from our Titan club that are in on this. I make it a habit to peruse the canal access roads almost daily on my way home from work. :driving: Most of the main lower roads are fairly clean besides the occasional beer/soda garbage( I hauled some stuff out about a week ago trying to clean up a bit). The higher roads are littered with various stuff. I'm not sure how far we are "allowed" to venture. North side of St. Georges to the west...2nd steep hill...bunch of garbage...lamps...mattresses... car parts that sort of thing. Northside down by Chesapeake city ...up in the higher level sand area is also filled with trash. The Labrador retriver training site looks good. I could actually make it a point to draw some maps out while I'm out there on where the bulk of the garbage is.
    I'm looking forward to meeting you all and lending a helping hand! Take care...

• Bags will be good Joe, we just have to remember to keep any recycleable metal seperate. We'll pile that up, and have a seperate pile of bagged and loose trash the C&D office will pickup. I think we'll be mostly on the north side of the canal. Titan, you sound like you were in the right area, but we'll go down past the training area, into MD, there's some stuff there as well. If we finish, we can see what else we can find. People are free to come and go as they please, although getting there at the start may make it easier to find us.

Josh, PM me your cell # for Sunday and we'll work out a time.

Paul

• I will not be able to make this...my wife is running a volleyball tourny at her school so I am on daddy duty and I don't think a 3 and a 4 year old would be of much assistance!

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Ok...I think I got a final count on the Titans that will be joining the clean up. We got 7 trucks confirmed as of today. I was thinking that we could pair up with a jeep.... and we can haul garbage while you guys blaze the trails finding it! :) That way you all can bring your jeeps instead of your trucks (jeeps have way more fun!) Thanks again for letting us be apart of this!

• I have to run out right now, but I'll be posting all of the details on this later today (meeting place and time, etc).

Paul

• Info for the C&D Canal Clean Up on Saturday, Sept. 30th

Meeting Time: 9am (please try not to be too late if you're going to be there at the start. We'll need to see how many we have, and possibly get broken up into groups.

Meeting Place: Starting from 896, take a RIGHT if you're coming up 896 North and have just crossed the bridge, OR make a LEFT if you're heading South down 896 and just passed Lums Pond entrance, ONTO Red Lion Road (Rt. 71 North). Pass Chesapeake City Rd, and make the next right onto Old Summit Road and you'll see the group gathered there, at the end of the road. From there we'll head to the location where we will be piling the trash to be picked up later by the Project Office. If you're inclined to use Google Earth, or have a GPS, here's the coordinates: 39 degrees 32'38.00"N 75 degrees 43'33.71"W)

Safety Info/ What to Wear: Kids are welcome, but parents are responsible for them. If you can't keep an eye on your child, don't bring them. There is often hazardous (not in a chemical way, but it's not out of the question) and dangerous materials around (broken glass, sharp metal, etc.). Gloves, preferably leather, will be required, as well as good boots or thick soled shoes. Long pants and sleeves are recommended, and please dress for the weather.

What to Bring: I have a few, very few, of the "pointy sticks" left, but I'll bring what I have to pick up trash. If you have one from a previous clean up, bring it. Joe I believe is bringing bags. Beverages are your responsibility, and I'm checking with the Board to see if the club will be providing a pizza lunch. If so, we'll probably eat around 1pm or so, and we'll meet at the drop off area for that. Bring what you need for drinks, snacks, etc for yourself and anyone with you.

Miscellaneous:In the past, winches have come in handy. I don't know for sure we'll need one, but anyone bringing a Jeep or vehicle with it should have the necessary items to work the winch if needed. If you have a trailer or a truck to bring, that would be better than your Jeep for hauling material back to the drop off site. If we have enough people, we'll more than likely break into 2 groups. One working closer to the drop off site, and the 2nd (preferably more trucks and trailers) will be going a few miles down into MD to an area we scouted out there. If the group is small, we can probably do one area, break for lunch, then head down to the other area.

Also, CB's in the vehicles will be helpful with coordinating. If anyone has some 2-way radios or FSR radios they'd be helpful as well.

Any questions, PM me (wanderlust), or send an email to me at pemjr@comcast.net, or post here. There IS a sign up post in the sign up area (here's a shortcut ;D - http://www.delawareja.com/foru…11475.msg102370#msg102370 ), so please post if you are attending, even if you've already said you were please, so we have an approximate count.

Thanks
    Paul

• Weather info for Saturday... right now we're looking at partly cloudy with a 20% chance of rain, according to weather.com

We do not have a rain date set for this event. On Saturday morning, if it's cloudy or just drizzling, please plan on still coming for the clean up. We're going to be cleaning up trash, so we're going to get dirty. What's a little rain and mud amongst friends? However, if it for some reason turns to a torrential downpour, assume we're not going to have the clean up that day and I'll try to reschedule with the Project Office asap.

If the weather gets back, I'll post on here that we're not having it as early as I possibly can, so check here if you are not sure. If nothings posted, we plan on having it. If you want to be sure, you can call my cell at 302-388-5888.

By the way, if you're the first to show up, and the only vehicle there is a little ugly Corolla, you're not necessarily in the wrong place. :(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!