Need help with brakes

• As some of you already know, I had a brake issue with my TJ on the way to the meeting. I was able to get it back home, but now I have to diagnose and fix the problem. As with too many other things, I know next to nothing about brakes. I'm hoping someone local could stop by and look at it with me and/or help me fix it. I'm looking at it as a good learning opportunity.

Here's what happened. I drove it the night before and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. As I left for the meeting, the front right felt sluggish, almost like the tire was very low on air. I even stopped to check the tire on the way there, but it was fine. A bit further, as I stopped at a light, the Jeep pulled hard to the left. At the light, I could definitely smell something wasn't right, and noticed smoke coming from the front right corner. I pulled off the road and saw the smoke coming from the rotor. I had to push it to get home, like the brakes were partially on all the time. All I've had time to do so far is look under there to see if the brake line was crimped or anything, but it seems fine. No leaking fluid that I noticed either.

Any ideas what it could be? Frozen caliper as some suggested?

Anyone up north have some time to take a look at it with me? Any help would be much appreciated.

paul

• i dont know alot about brake but do know some about them. I could swing by tomorrow after i get off work at 6 if you'd like. give me call on my cell if you want some help. 302-249-7925

• Sounds like a frozen caliper. OR, if your shoes are worn so thin, the caliper cup could be out so far that when it retracted after you braked it didn't go back in straight.

Jack up that side and spin the tire. It should spin freely for the most part but you'll hear a slight drag of the shoes. If it feels bound up you're probably having caliper issues. Usually newer disc brakes require two bolts (allen heads) to be removed out the back side of the caliper. Then the caliper should come off. If it's still compressed you'll have to open the bleed screw and try prying the caliper cup back into the caliper to relieve the clamping pressure.

I can try to get over this week. Wednesday I'll be taking Kristina horse riding though (unless it rains). Later in the week would be better.

I've never messed with TJ stuff before "but I watched a guy fix a Jap-o-nese transmiss-ion once". (always loved that commercial :innocent:).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Paul,
    It sounds as though as Slimer said its either a frozen caliper or a flexible brake line is collapsing. The Safest bet would be to replace the front calipers and brake lines to be safe. I know Addison would appreciate it. I should be home tonight and could stop by if you're around.

Don

• Thanks guys for the advice and offers to help. I'll certainly take up any offers to stop by and have a look at it. Unfortunately, I have to work until 8 tonight, so that's probably out. And it's going to rain I think today, tomorrow and Friday. If anyone's available at all this weekend, that would be great. If it's Saturday 8-3, I'll throw in our yard sale for FREE! That means, whatever doesn't sell, if you stop by, you can take it with you!

I'll try and get the Jeep jacked up and have a look at it as soon as possible though.

• I might be able to swing by either on friday evening after work or saturday. Thursdays our for me since i have a funeral to go to.

• Paul - after a while did the brake return to an unlocked position?

I recently had the same problem with my brakes (1997 axles and calipers). First I thought I kinked my brake line and the fluid was going into but coming out of the brake line. Luckily I only drove 2 miles to work per day so it wasn't a big deal to come home and let them sit overnight and they always returned to normal.

I put on the stock brake line and thought I was good until driving to a camping trip with my friends on the Blue Route. We stopped at a friends where we had to buy new tools and a new caliper. Since then I've had no problems.

After the locker install on Saturday I may be able to stop over and help you switch it out. I can bring a stock brake line as well if you'd like but you'll have to provide your own calipers. I think it cost like 35 dollars at autozone, and got about half of it back with the core return. You may want to get new pads as well since the ones you now have may have worn down. If you want me to stop over, let me know.

• I'm having a similar problem on my '90 YJ. So far, I've replaced the brake hose and line - the only thing left is the caliper. You can probably do a visual inspection of the hoses and lines going to the brake that's locked up and rule those things out (looking for an obvious pinch of kink).

I wish I had followed that logic myself...

• Matty

Thanks for the info. If you have time and are willing on Saturday, feel free to stop by. We don't have any plans that I know of, other than the yard sale in the morning. I'll be watching my daughter the rest of the day. I have not driven it again since Sunday, so I don't know if it's returned to normal. I did stop once on the way back home after it was smoking and let it cool down a bit. It did feel a little bit more free after that, but only for a few minutes, then it got back to feeling locked up.

I have a line on some parts, but I need to see what the problem is first to see what I need, and then it might take me awhile to get the parts. But I can wait for a reduced price!

Let me know, and I can send you directions to my place if you have the time. Much appreciated.

Paul

• As long as we are done on time at Ed's - about 1 - I'll stop by on my way home if you still want my help. 215.499.0196.

• Matt, if it's on your way and you have the time, that'd be great. Chris may be bringing me some parts Saturday morning sometime, but I'm not sure if he'll have time to actually look at it. I'll try and have it up in the air before anyone can stop by though. I'll PM you my address and directions, thanks.

• Chris, you rock!

We'll be home all day, yard sale from 8-3, but Selena will be home too. We just have to keep an eye on Adyson while all that's going on. I have to leave at 3:30 or so to take Adyson to a party, but before that could definitely work. I think I have some fluid there, I'll check. If not, I'll get some beforehand.

Thanks!

• quadna drove up in the am. I had the Jeep on stands and the passenger side tire off. You could still feel it rubbing when you rotated the tire. Chris said it must have gotten very hot seeing the color the rotor had become. He had a set of calipers and rotors with him, so we just replaced both on both side. The rotors were a bit stubborn coming off, but eventually did. I don't know that we ever diagnosed exactly what caused it, but it seemed like the caliper had frozen for some reason. With new calipers and rotors on, Chris bled the lines and we test drove it. Seemed fine.

:up: HUGE thanks to Chris for not only driving all the way up to help out, but for bringing the parts I needed as well! :up:

And, as a bonus, Chris showed me how to adjust my parking brake, which hasn't worked for about 2 years or so.

Thanks Chris!

• The tolerance between the cup in the caliper and the well it sits in (with the fluid) is pretty tight. If you get any crap in there (probably from corrosion) it can interfere with the action of the cup.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!