starter? or?....

• Ok, got the brake issue resolved, so the Jeep stops, now I'm having a starting issue.

Got a used red top a few months back. Jeeps been running great with it. The other day, when heading to Smyrna, it would barely turn over. Keeping the key turned, it would try, but was slow turning. Would eventually build up and start and run fine. But if I shut it down, same thing happened. Few days later, trying it again, not even a click at first. Did eventually start though. I was thinking it was the starter, but I guess my question is, if just the starter is bad, would that cause things like a dead battery? Like all the radio stations being erased and such? If it's just a starter, no big deal I can do that. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts before I spent the money on it.

• have you checked your alt to make sure that its charging the battery? Also, you might want to check the voltage that its putting out...maybe a bad battery....just some things to check

• Check the battery cables and make sure they are in good shape and that there is no corrosion or acid build up on them. Check the alternator connections as well.

You can of course try charging the battery to see if it charges really fast. I know with wet cell batteries that means that a cell is bad (usually from phosphate build up). I'm not sure if the same is true with dry cell batteries.

I have a decent charger if you want to put it on charge over night to see if it makes a difference.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I replaced all the battery cables when I changed the battery. The old ones did constantly have corrosion on them, I was always cleaning them off. I put new cables, those felt things on the terminals, and covers on both posts as well, so the cables should definitely be good.

I'll look at the alternator connections tonight and see how they look. I don't have a way of testing the voltage coming out though.

I might take you up on the battery charger John, just to rule that out at least.

I just can't pay for a new $200 starter to find out that's not the problem.

• Check the connection at the starter. The cable can come loose and it acts like the starter is going bad. Happened to me once, I tightened the nut every thing was good.

• When a battery dies it gennerally dies hard. Sounds like the batt to me. Alts and starters dont fail the way they used to. Borrow a battery or take it out and take it to Autozone to be tested.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• to me sounds like it may be a short. if the alt was bad then it would not charge the batter and if the battery was dead it would be dead and thats it. it would not start after a couple of tries. That could be true for a starter but if the start was bad that would not reset the radio. You are loosing power and that would lead to a short or loose conection. I had a camaro with the same problem and I found a wire under the engine that was a fuseable link. It did not burn out is simply broke. sometime it made the current and sometimes it did not. So check for loose conections then move on to testing cunductivity of the wires. (not fun at all)

• Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to take some time tonight (although I said that last night....) to check out all of the connections. If need be, I'll pull the battery, alternator and starter and run them up to Autozone. The guy there said they can test all of them at no charge. If something is bad, I'll replace it and hope that does it. But first I'll try and check all of the wiring and connections.

• That would be easier, I just worry about getting there, and not being able to start it again. But I guess if it breaks down, there's not too many places better than that to have it happen.

• It's a manual, so there is always that option.

I called AutoZone today, and the person I spoke with said they could test the alt and battery ON the vehicle. Their starter tester was broken. So I drove it up there, and walked in to ask about it. The manager tells me "not after dark. We can't go outside and do that stuff after it gets dark". I told him it would have been nice to have been told that when I called. What a bunch of (censored). I now, hate that place.

So I go out and remove the battery, and bring it in for someone else to test. He ran it on the machine and it said it was a bad battery. I almost bought a new one, but decided to wait, knowing I could get a better price, and not wanting to give them any money. I hate them. I called someone and asked about it, and they told me they weren't sure that tester would work the same on a dry cell battery, and it would be best to get a charger and see if that made a difference.

I picked up John's charger tonight, and a multimeter too. Putting the battery on the charger it read 0. Which is good right? The multimeter showed the battery at 11.14V as well. Should it be higher than that? Looking online I saw the battery should read 12.8 to 15.V while the vehicle is running. I have not tested it that way yet though, and the site didn't say what it should read out of the vehicle. Keeping in mind, I suck at electronics and have no idea what I'm doing. John suggested also connecting the negative terminal of the battery to the negative cable, and setting the multimeter between the positive terminal and the positive cable. (is that right John?) I did that, and the multimeter showed 11.10V. So does that mean I have a HUGE drain on the battery? That's with the key not even in the ignition, and nothing on. I have to have done that wrong, or I'm reading that wrong. Any help on my technique here would be appreciated.

If the battery is ok, should I have the alternator tested, or just hook up the multimeter to the cable the way I did (or the way someone tells me is the right way) and start pulling fuses to see if I can find where there might be a short?

Or, any other suggestions?

• I appreciate the offer Donnie, unfortunately I have a 5pm appt. up in Kennett tonight, and probably won't get home until after 7. I have no idea how long it will last.

When I do get home, I was going to try a different battery in the Jeep to see if it makes a difference. Probably should have done that at the beginning to see if it's the battery or rule it out. Depending on how that goes, I'm going to go through a charging cycle of the Red Top according to the directions I found on a site, and see if the voltage reading goes up at all.

• So after all the guessing and volt testing and doubting the battery was bad, the battery was bad. I took battery out of the Liberty, put it mine, and it turned right over. Got a new battery in it and it starts fine. So as long as there is not some other issue that's going to drain the battery and put me back at square one, I should be good to go.

(at least I won't have to drive the Corolla tomorrow to the clean up)

Just as info, I did run the Red Top through a recharging cycle, put the multimeter on it, and it read a bit low. The next moring, a bit lower, and after work again lower. Seems like it would not hold a charge anymore.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!