Opinions on Detroit EZ locker

• Looking at a detroit ez locker and didnt know if it was any good. it would be going in a 04 wrangler d35 with 3.07 gears that is a daily driver. I got a line on a new one for 100 bucks and didnt know if it would work or how they are. This would be going in my daily driver....model is 812A020 this is the information that i could find on it INTERNAL PARTS, 27 SPLINE AXLES, FITS OPEN CARRIER WITH 1.620 SIDE GEAR JOURNAL

thanks in advance Jason

• I have only heard of bad things coming from locking a stock D35. thats just what i have heard and seen though...never done it myself

• Setting aside the D35 issues in general, I have had no problems with the EZ Lockers. Agreed that locking a 35 might not be the best idea.

Adding a locker out back will make for some quirks that you should be aware of. Getting on/off the gas can cause the rear to push side to side, and doing so in a corner can be unsettling until you get used to it. The unit will unlock and let both wheels turn at different speeds (going around the corner), but as you apply power, it locks back up, making the rear try to push straight.

Iz

• I just installed ez lockers in my 04 wrangler tj this weekend,when i orderd lockers from quadratec they recomended hub conversion kit for front.I ordered kit but recieved wrong kit.I put both lockers in anyway took it for test drive i just felt a little drag in front,the rear felt just like iz explained.I didnt think it was that bad,ill get used to it.Easy installation i had then both in a couple of hours.im going to order hub kit too,they say cuts down gas milage.

Wayne

• I just installed ez lockers in my 04 wrangler tj this weekend,when i orderd lockers from quadratec they recomended hub conversion kit for front.I ordered kit but recieved wrong kit.I put both lockers in anyway took it for test drive i just felt a little drag in front,the rear felt just like iz explained.I didnt think it was that bad,ill get used to it.Easy installation i had then both in a couple of hours.im going to order hub kit too,they say cuts down gas milage.

If you have any drag on the front when in 2WD, something is wrong.

I could be wrong but have never heard of lockout hubs for the 5x4.5 axles.

• I could be wrong but have never heard of lockout hubs for the 5x4.5 axles.

Warn makes 2 conversion kits, 1 is the small hub kit which keeps the 5 on 4.5 Bolt pattern and the other uses premium hubs which converts to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern... I believe milemarker or superwinch also has a kit that is 5 on 4.5 but I have only heard a few rumblings about it over the years...

• Looking at a detroit ez locker and didnt know if it was any good. it would be going in a 04 wrangler d35 with 3.07 gears that is a daily driver.

Forget about it and spend the money on the CJ6. :up:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• there should be no damage from a lunch box in the front of a tj
    w/o lock outs as long as the locker was installed correctly
    as keith said the cutoff for the front rear is in the t case
    not the hubs themselves

lots of guys run lonch box lockers w/o manual hubs all day everyday on a DD with no ill effects

• Thanks alot Keith and Andrew im returning hub kit,thanks for the info saved me $1200.

For that kind of money it would make better sense to install an ARB.

The axles free-wheel when in 2WD with a Lock-Right so there is nothing to really be gained by lock-out hubs.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!