1949 Willys CJ3B find, what's it worth?

• Hey all, a guy I work with has a chance to buy a 49 3B from an old lady who's husband recently passed (military buff). Right now the body is off of the frame and is complete and primed ready to be painted. Apparently everything is there and it's all original including the flathead 4 that runs. It basically needs painted and reassembled but like I said the old man passed and she wants to get rid of it. He said it appears to be in great shape and he wants to offer her a fair amount for it (i.e. he is not looking to rip the old lady off!). What would something like that be worth? Thanks!

• Looks like they can go anywhere from 1k to 7k depending on condition and completness.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Since it is apart, I'd offer $3000, as long as the body is in good shape.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Double check the dates and nomenclature. '49 they were making CJ-2s. Split windshield that completely vented and recessed headlights(black-out type). In '50 they went to the CJ-3A. Single windshield glass, vent door under windshield glass. Headlights changed to the ring bezel style that lasted all way until the end of the CJ. CJ-3B was the same, except it had a taller motor that needed a taller hood, 6 inches high instead of 4 or something like that.

All of these features are listed on the Jeep descriptions sites. Most everything can be swapped between each though.

If the body is in good shape, I agree with Slimer, $3000. Just about every part can be bought from JC Whitney or made in a basic shop. I helped rebuild a CJ-3A with my Dad.

• offer 2k and leave your self room to counter the offer up to 3k.
    because its in pieces you might find not everything is there or will work.
    when you buy a project you buy other peoples problems. That withstanding you don't know what modifications the previous owner was planning to make that would allow everything to fit or work together.
    ask everyone here who has put a jeep together from scratch....you never make only one trip to NAPA for parts or hardware :doh: and you always end up spending more then you tell the wife it costs ::)

• Why is everyone saying to bid so high?? Doesn't she just want it gone? I would start at $500 and see what she says. Does she need the money real bad or have receipts for everything? Basically, let her come up with a price. Not that I am saying to screw an old lady, but the value of something is only determined by what someone is willing to pay and what the seller says it is worth.

• I don't think they started making the 3B in 49. I think they were making the 3A then. I bought a disassembled 50 3A for $1500 with title, origanal Willys warranty card (that was never filled out), and all the origanal parts except the tub and fenders which were new steel that are missing the tool box under the passanger seat, and the fuel fill hole, and the motor is locked up,( but I have a motor from a 2A I'm going to put in). I probally payed a little to much but the tub and fenders made the deal for me. The 3B's are the least collectable of the flat fenders even though the were the best mechanically.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!