Swapping a 5.9L into a 98TJ

• Actually the initial fuel prime at key-on (when key is turned initially to the 'run' position, not necessarily to 'start') is _not_ related to the sentry key...all cars kick the ASD and fuel pump on for ~2secs at key on to pressurize the system, this simply quickens the engine start as the injectors are already supplied w/ pressurized fuel. With the sentry key the vehicle will actually start and run for 3-4 seconds and then cut off.

• Just a little background that may help. I sold the engine and harness to Jarred as I couldn't get them to work in my '02. Somewhere around here is a tread about that, but a 2000 Dodge and a 2002 Jeep use different networks and I would have had to replace my IP and wiring.

Anyway, the engine and harness is out of a 2000 Dakota R/T. When I bought the truck, which was totaled, the previous owner started taking it apart to replace the cab. After disconnecting most of the wiring he gave up. Since I wanted to hear the engine run before I put it in my Jeep, I put as much back as I could fine. When I first started the engine it ran and drove fine, but there were no dashboard functions or anything else inside.

Eventually I found a few missing plugs and once connected everything worked. I ran the engine for at least 10 minutes multiple times and drove it around the block a few times as well. However, the 'security' light was lit on the IP the entire time. The key I had was black, not gray like the Sentry keys. It never shut off unless I did so with the key.

When taking the truck apart I found a black box under the dash that I could not identify. I gave the dash wiring, this box and the key to Jarred when he picked up the engine, but I don't think he ever identified it either. HTH, Wayne

• Ok got the PCM back today, they said that they took the security settings out, so I plug everthing in and it STILL wont start. :bang: The ASD relay kicks on for 2secs then shuts off when you go to start the ASD relay energizes again and then drops. Anyone have a FSM for a 2000 dodge dakota r/t? I printed out the electrical diagrams from that website quadna posted but I would like to get a list of the needed inputs for the PCM to allow the motor to start.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Edited once, last by jbates ().

• I traced both of the wires that control the relay and they go where they are suppossed to go. And the output of the relay goes where its suppossed to go. I am sending the pcm and the wiring harness back to the guy and he is going to put them in another JEEP and troubleshoot it. He said that it didnt make sense that the relay kicks on for a sec when you go to start the vehicle and then shuts off. He said the ASD is suppossed to stay energized after you turn the key to the on position.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Actually the way you "hold" the relay closed is to tie it to ground. The pc doesn't have the 12volts running through it it just holds the outputs to ground. The relays get the 12 right from the power distribution center/box. So i guess the short answer is yes i tried that last weekend actually. He said it was the pcm then so thats why i sent it out. I was hoping to get like a logic diagram of the pcm but I doubt that would be available.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• sorry if i ask a few dumb questions but may be able to help out...so am i correct in assuming that the starter is engaging and turning over the motor? i know fuel pressure was brought up and although the pump may be putting out 50 psi you can have good pressure without good flow spray some 2+2 in the tb and see if that does anything, motor can run off 2+2 at idle with not gas. is the engine cop or does it have a distributor. were you able to check for spark with an ignition spark tester or by grounding a spark plug. if you can check for spark you can rule out the asd. when i did my swap i was convinced the asd was my reason for the no start, turns out the cam sensor was 180 degrees out which i didnt think was possible since its comp controlled, i found that out by spraying starter fluid in the intake held the throttle slightly open and cranked it over, when the flame shout out of the tb i had a good idea why it didnt start. that can be the case for both cop and distributor. something doesnt seem right considering you had the comp flashed and you seem confident the asd is working. might want to look at all the basics might be something easy that was over looked.

• Well the ASD works but I have to tie it to ground so something else is telling it to turn off. The starter is cranking the engine the belt turns. It does have a distributor. Also I sprayed starter fluid in the TB with it open and I did check for spark nothing. Every idea helps. :shrug:

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Well I think I found the problem. I thought of it last week but I sidetracked with something else. Pulled the crankshaft position sensor out and it was mashed up pretty good. The bolts I used to mount the clutch plate to the flywheel were to long. So when I cranked it over the bolts came around and smacked the hell out of the sensor :doh: So hopefully thursday I will have the harness back and be able to start the JEEP. Finally! I also found out that the crankshaft position sensor for a manual is different than the one for an automatic.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Edited once, last by jbates ().

• if you had a auto crank sensor installed it is adjustable and was prob resting on the flywheel. the manual sensor is held by 2 bolts and has no adjustment. but that sounds like it could be the problem...busted crank sensor will cause a no spark condition

• Sorry was in Killington Vermont this weekend. I got the wiring harness and PCM back monday morning put them in along with the CPS and it started right up. Sounds sweet. ;D Now I just need it to move. It will go into gear but when I let the clutch out it doesn't go anywhere. I am going to shim out the slave cylinder and see if that works. Didnt have time last night cause of class. Will let you guys know tonight.

If anyone is thinking of doing this swap make sure you give Evan from Backwoods Offroad a call. He has done many swaps and is a very knowledgeable person. I had him do the wiring harness and had plenty of questions for him for which he was very helpful and understanding. Which is hard to come by these days. His number is (541) 955-0363

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• the 3550 should hold up, from what i hear they can take up to 500hp. were you able to use the TJ instrument panel?

i am pretty sure they are only good to 300hp. most stock dodges only have around 245 anyway.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!