Swapping a 5.9L into a 98TJ

• i am pretty sure they are only good to 300hp. most stock dodges only have around 245 anyway.

The horsepower isn't the problem, it is the reserve torque capacity that kills them. But if you are somewhat careful in how you apply that torque they will hold up to a decent amount of power. There is an NV3500 in my truck and if you watch this video you can see I leave and shift conservatively. That truck has the factory installed clutch and transmission with hundreds of passes on them.

• hell mikes dodge had a 5.9 and the same 5spd a jeep does which i think is the ax-15 so i dont see how you should have a problem, it was the dakota if some one else has the specs

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Was it the same?

I seem to recall hearing that Mustang T5s are stronger than CJ T5s. Also, remember, not all T18s are "the same" (although the difference are mostly the front input shaft and how they mount to the bell housing).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Well I feel like a fool the transfer case was in neutral thats why it would not move yesterday. I havent hooked up the linkage yet trying to figure out how the AA relocation bracket is suppossed to be mounted.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• hell mikes dodge had a 5.9 and the same 5spd a jeep does which i think is the ax-15 so i dont see how you should have a problem, it was the dakota if some one else has the specs

no it didnt.....it had the nv3500 the same used in the fullsize 1500 rams

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Well I feel like a fool the transfer case was in neutral thats why it would not move yesterday. I havent hooked up the linkage yet trying to figure out how the AA relocation bracket is suppossed to be mounted.

No one here has ever done anything like that, you should be ashamed!

After playing with my starter tonight, it wouldn't crank. I started to remove it thinking I must have screwed up something when I took off the solenoid. I almost had it out before I remembered I had disconnected the battery.

• well after you rebuild the starter, let me know if it works with the battery disconnected. That would be really handy if the battery goes dead...

I kid, but boy have I done my fair share....

• well after you rebuild the starter, let me know if it works with the battery disconnected. That would be really handy if the battery goes dead...

I kid, but boy have I done my fair share....

:laughing:Who hasn't? I love reading this...it makes me feel more NORMAL! :laughing:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Ehh, we've all done something like that... I once spent 45 minutes trying to remove a dana 44 carrier, before I realized I never took the axle shafts out.... It is funny how a carrier will just fall out with out 1.5" steel shafts through it :innocent:

Any updates?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Drove it over to scotti and had a magnaflow muffler installed. I will be bringing it back on monday to have them replace the drivers side of the y-pipe so that my front drive shaft will bolt in they said that they could not bend the pipe to make it fit. Also noticed that my right rear tire is rubbing the spring. And still trying to figure out this AA bracket for the transfer case shifter. Also does anyone have a pic of their rear trackbar? just want to make sure mine is not in upside down.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Drove it over to scotti and had a magnaflow muffler installed. I will be bringing it back on monday to have them replace the drivers side of the y-pipe so that my front drive shaft will bolt in they said that they could not bend the pipe to make it fit. Also noticed that my right rear tire is rubbing the spring. And still trying to figure out this AA bracket for the transfer case shifter. Also does anyone have a pic of their rear trackbar? just want to make sure mine is not in upside down.

wo how was the power......

• Sounds nice! But I didnt want to break anything so i took it easy. Want to make sure everything is correct before I act stupid :spinrhead:

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

Edited once, last by jbates ().

• Do you think you'll need wheelie bars? :rolleyes:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Found out yesterday the reason I couldn't figure out the relocation bracket for my transfer case is because its the wrong one. One more thing to wait on.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Ok I have to switch out the slave cylinder hose with a braided steel line cause the other one melted and leaked. And I got the correct transfer case bracket monday and the rear adjustable trackbar today. So hopefully I this weekend I will be driving it. :driving: Will keep you guys posted.

2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• :driving: Just in time for the next SNOW! :driving:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Sounds nice! But I didnt want to break anything so i took it easy. Want to make sure everything is correct before I act stupid :spinrhead:

thats way more self control then i would have.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!