Weber Carb issues

• I have read many threads about the weber carb, and tried to apply them to my situation, with no real results.

I have a 1980 CJ5, 258 inline 6 and my weber carb has kicked my but, I have been messing with it for about 6 weeks now and I need help.

I have jetted, rejetted, and rejetted again, adjusted the float this way and that, rebuilt the carb, fixed vacuum leaks and set the timing, If the weber wasn't so pricey I'd junk it and go with fuel injection... but I am determined to get it running well.

the only way that it will run is if it is very rich and I am getting about 2-3 miles per gallon, not ideal at any gas price... and now it is smoking, white smoke and the tail pipe is spitting black stuff (bad enough to leave a bunch of nice stains on my driveway...

I have talked with redline/weber on the phone and did a bunch of trouble shooting with some results, but not really fixing the issue.

I checked the plugs, they had a lot of black deposits on them, the gap was good, so I just cleaned them and reinstalled them.

I am running a stock intake and exhaust manifold (the exhaust has a flapper on it and the spring broke off, so the flapper no longer works like it is supposed to) there are NO emissions parts left on the Jeep, no cat and it has a flowmaster muffler.

the engine has about 120,000 miles on it, it doesn't use oil, and it never smoked until now...

Any suggestions or maybe a good shop around Dover that wouldn't stick it to me (I'm new to the area and don't know any mechanics yet)

I have considered Cliffords' water heated intake and headers, but I don't think this will help, unless the water heated manifold really does help the carb run smoother in the cold? I am willing to try anything.

• What is your fuel pressure regulater set at? You might try changing that setting (down I would think).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had the same problem on my 80 CJ 5 except I don't think I was going through that much fuel. I called the Weber people and They suggested the fuel pressure regulator. If my memory is correct I set it at 2.5 lbs.? which is lower then (5lbs. I think) the original fuel pump puts out. The smoke and the strong fuel smell went away. I mounted mine on the fire wall between the fuel pump and the carburetor using rubber fuel line(not in a straight line obviously).I found a Holley one at Christiana Auto on the shelf that someone ordered and never picked up. I still had problems with it stalling on hills and added a throttle hand control and have been happy with it since.

• Was it doing this before you had your stint in Japan? Or was the result of it sitting for several years?

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I'm thinking you might need to tear it down, clean it out, and replace the gaskets. That may take care of that vacuum leak you had at the meeting as well.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Here is the Carter fuel pump I am using on mine:

http://store.summitracing.com/…lts=false&Ntt=crt%2Dp4070

Summit's item number is CRT-P4070. It's $69.95 now. I tried the regulator first and it did me no good -- even if the volume isn't too low, you still get pulsing from the mechanical fuel pump. Webers need a steady, high volume, low pressure fuel supply. Runs great now. (Except for all that stalling on climbs. I found a no-cost fix for that and am going to try it. I'll let you know.) The super-rich condition is gone. No more raw gas and soot spitting out the tailpipe and the plugs at least aren't fouling. I still don't think it will pass Delaware emissions, but with no vacuum leaks and the Carter pump, I can start tinkering with it now.

• Things are looking up, I filled the tank with 89, last tank was 93... it seems better, I also did some tinkering with the mixture screws.

I will try the e-fuel pump, it can't hurt.

I am also considering a HEI distributer and the Clifford set-up, it is a lot of $$$ but if it works it will be worth it.

I will probably take it to a mechanic, for some fine tuning, someone that knows older carburated engines...

Does anyone know of a good place near Dover?

And thanks for all of your good advice. (I still don't see a TJ in my future :laughing:)

• I think Black Flag is a mechanic. Make sure both mixture screws are adjusted equally. Some think that one adjusts air and one adjust gas. That's wrong. They both adjust the amount of vacuum going through each jet in the carb.

Turn them in all the way until they bottom out. Then turn each one about 2 turns out, (give or take). Start the motor and get it to idle. You may have to turn them out a bit to get it idling right. Make sure you have NO vacuum leaks and the timing is set about right. Then turn each of them in ¼ turn at a time until the motor stumbles. Once it stumbles. Once it stumbles turn it back ¼ turn.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Did you try putting some "sta-bil" fuel treatment in? I run it in all my non daily driver toys and have had very good luck with it.

• I was having a lot of similar issues on my 79 CJ-7. It sat for close to 4 years while I was in Korea and Germany. I replaced gas tank, entire ignition system and a new webber carb. Still stalled out for no reason and put down the soot on the driveway. It was that little ignition module on the drivers fender causing the problems. Webber ran little rough and still stalled at red lights. Took it to Melvins on State Street near 13 and they adjusted it. They told me it was the wrong carb and would not allow the EGR to work properly. I run the low octane gas and will be checking the milage. It seems to be working much better now. Mine still puts down the soot, but I am only about 25 gal into the new adjustments.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!