C&D Canal Clean-Up, March 10th & 11th

• DeJA has been contacted by the C&D Canal Project Office, as well as by DNREC, who have requested help in cleaning up the canal on Saturday, March 10th, and Sunday March 11th. When DeJA coordinates these events it's a one day deal. However, this is not a DeJA coordinated event. DNREC is proposing having several other groups out as well for a major clean up of many areas of the canal. We would be working with people from Delaware Enduro Riders and other groups under the direction of DNREC to clean up these areas.

Dates are Saturday, March 10th, and Sunday March 11th
    Meeting Place (as of now): pit area across from Gunning Bedford (directions and/or map will be posted for final meeting place closer to the event).

More information as to what to bring, wear, etc will be posted closer to the event as well.

Our immediate goal now is to get back to DNREC with a number of people from DeJA who will be attending. If you can make this event, please post on the SIGN UP PAGE for this event (http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=13947.0) with what day (or both days) you CAN attend. We need to get back to them within a week with a number. With several groups out for a large scale clean up, this will be a bit different than our past Canal Clean Ups. Should be pretty interesting, and we always have fun. I'd like to have a very large showing from DeJA at this event! If you can make it, please set one or both days aside and commit to being there.

DNREC has requested help with not only cleaning up the area as we normally do, but also with equipment if anyone has, or has access to dumpsters, rollbacks, loaders, etc.

Please read the email from them below:

As you all should be aware, we are planning a large scale cleanup event at the Canal on the weekend of March 10th and 11th. What I need to know from those who will be participating is what you all can contribute mainly in regards to equipment and garbage disposal as well as an approximate number of individuals who will be attending. We will be providing a tractor with loader bucket as well as our small dump truck but could use additional dumpsters/rollbacks and possibly an extra loader or two if they are available. I know that in the past the Enduro club has provided a dumpster when they did their post-event cleanup. I am currently working with New Castle County to see if they would be willing to cover any/all of the costs of garbage disposal. If those who will be attending could please let me know what they can provide I would appreciate it so that we can determine the best course of action to get the Canal cleaned up.

Also, I propose that we use the pit area across from Gunning-Bedford as our main meeting/staging area (suggestions for other areas are welcomed) and then send groups out to other areas of concern. Would meeting there at 9:00am on Saturday, March 10th work for everyone?

If you have any other comments or suggestions please fell free to ask. Thanks for your participation.

Craig Rhoads
    Regional Fish & Wildlife Manager
    Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife

Any questions, please post them here and I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks, hope to see you all there!
    Paul

• I will have a new box of the orange style bags.
    (now in the new improved clear version)
    Donated from Sussex Community Corrections
    Thanks to Deputy Warden William Oettel :up:

• This is what we got from the event coordinator.

It shouldn't be too hard to find.

My cell is (302) 245-1880

This is for SATURDAY.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The attached link shows the location of the meeting point at Curlett’s Pit for Saturday’s trash cleanup. The small white dot in the middle of the map will serve as the main staging area. For those not familiar with the area the access road is the main access road for the Canal between Rt. 9 in Delaware City and Rt. 13 and is located off of Cox Neck Road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=…48905,0.107975&iwloc=addr
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• since that map link doesn't actually show a white dot for most people, I've attached an image showing the access road, and I think the correct meeting location. the entrance to the road is across from the school.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'm not familiar with the area, but I won't be able to make it Saturday anyway. It looks though if you're on Rt. 13 you turn onto Cox Neck Road at St. Georges just on the North side of the canal, and the access road is down on the right hand side.

Post any questions you might have here and we'll try to help everyone get there.

Paul

ps-thanks for the help Jerry! :up:

• Can someone post what time to meet. I don't see it anywhere. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• 9am is the meeting time for all of the groups, 8:45 would be a good target time for us.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!