Dana 35 regear or swap for a Dana 44.....

• I have come to a stopping point, I cant make my jeep bigger, unless i regear. i currently have a dana 35 with 3.07 gears, i have no 5th gear because i have my 33's on. i want my 5th gear back, and i want to regear. what would be the most logical and easiest thing to do. i plan on going up to 35in tires and about 4.5 inches of lift. i would like to regear to 4.88s and don't know if my current d35 will hold up to that. i have heard about people breaking axle shafts with a d35, and a supper 35, but don't know too much about what it would take to get to 4.88s, just looking for some info. this is a project in the planing, hope to have it started by january, meaning having the parts on order. tell me what you think...

thanks,
    stetson

• How much will new gears, a Super 35 kit be compared to getting a Dana 44 (new or used)? How much wheeling do you do and what is your driving style?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• From some board members experience with the super 35 and from others that I know I do not think it is a good idea if you want to run 35's. I have seeen bad bad things happen to axle housings and ring gear with a 35. All you are really upgrading is the shafts which is a very very small part of shining that turd. They do have their place but I don't see that place being your application. Find a TJ 44, or look around and find an already built 8.8, both can be had for around 1300 which is a little more than the super 35 considering you need to also get a locker to be comparable.

• Slimer,
    I go out sometimes with the club, and am looking to upgrade to better gears, it is my daily driver. but it is also my trail jeep. i want something that is going to hold up off road on the rack, and on the road.

where would i start looking for a TJ D44?

• I wouldnt do the super 35 but thats just me. I had it for 3 weeks and broke it on the first trail ride. However I had the yukon version no the superior version, some say superior is stronger but i dont buy it. Anyway go with the 44. It will end up costing you more to start but it will save you in the long run. I bought mine complete from drivetrain direct mostly cause i needed it right away and it cost be 2300. Thats a bit steep but it was convenient. If you were going to just build one you can get a new d44 housing from jeepsareus.com for like 450 and just buy the rest of the parts. I know Ian has an account with randys ring and pinon. Check them and get some prices, or order from Bob I found him to be cheapest.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I've read a trussed super 35 is much stronger than a non trussed one because the 35 flexes so easily when stressed....but by the time you do all than, might as well get a 8.8 or 44, im looking for a 44 myself..

Jason

• Yes, a trussed housing will be stronger than a non-trussed housing but I don't beleive the housing is the week link in Dana 35. It's the C-clipped axles.

Would it be cheaper for you wide tracked owners to get a stronger rear from another vehicle and cut it down? Since your messing with the rear there are no knuckles to set up at the right angle. Yes, it would be more work but it may be cheaper and if you keep your Dana 35 you can always swap it back in if you sell the vehicle.

Is there a vehicle out there with a stronger rear that wouldn't require cutting down; Isuzu Rodeo, Nissan, Yota...?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I was thinking they could be welded on or a rear with a coil spring set up could be found.

I guess in the long run, since it is a TJ and still has considerable resale value, it would be better to pay the money up front and just buy it the way you want it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Unless you have a plasma cutter to chop the old brackets off for a tj, you have to buy new ones witch as a set cost about 250 bucks. That in addition to all the other parts sometimes puts you close to the price of a completely assembled axle. Trust me Ive done some research.

• i have done some research and found it would cost about 4,250 for both front and rear d44's axle housing assemblys, to include the front and rear axle splines, with 4.11 gears, front and rear factory air lockers and rear disc brake install kit.

• whoa! But do you really need 2 44's? Doesnt the 30 up front hold up pretty well? Or am i mis-informed? :doh:

Jason

• The weak point on a Dana 30 is the axle u-joint. Swapping to alloy shafts is the typical fix for that, which for CJ's is around $800. I imagine it would be the same for TJ's and YJ's as well. It's my understanding that you're pushing the stock axles until you go to a front locker and 35's. Other's who wheel more may have better information.

If you want to go to excessively low gears (probably lower than 4.88 as a guess) you may want to switch to a larger rear in order to get a bigger ring and pinion gear. That way you will have more teeth engaged. Dana 27's and I think Dana 30's used to come with 5.38 gearing stock from the factory but that was before people were running bigger tires and more HP.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I wouldnt worry about beefing up the d30 just yet. I have had no problems with mine and i know others had no problems with thiers. I believe Ian is running stock axles and lockers and Andrew did for a long time without a problem. A front 44 is not neccessary just yet.

• Quote from "2000sahara"

I wouldnt worry about beefing up the d30 just yet. I have had no problems with mine and i know others had no problems with thiers. I believe Ian is running stock axles and lockers and Andrew did for a long time without a problem. A front 44 is not neccessary just yet.

Yup...mine's a high-pinion D30 w/ latemodel non-disco shafts and 760x joints. Haven't had problems (save for spitting the caps of one ujoint) running 4.56's w/ an Ox locker w/ 36's. I think most can attest that I don't baby it either. :rolleyes: :hmm: I'll be the first to admit that I'm pushing my luck but I won't swap it out until I _need_ to...ie. when I'm breaking on a consistent basis.

--Ian

• oh, i did not know that you could still run the d30 in the front. now that i know it will be a lot easier. thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!