need help with my new dana 35

• well im starting my new job this week for Goodyear as a tire salesman... so i know im about to get some bigger rubber... and have been looking for an up grade... well i found this... http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45634

i really wated disk brakes and i found a deal.. tis out of an 95 yj it has a disc brake converson and all new seals and bearings and no rust... but i want to know who made the kit and where i can get new pads... plust i want to know more about this lcoker... he thinks its a detriot... i dont know... can u tell? the ring and pinoin should be 4.56 i cant tell...

on the lcoker it has- 71110-G 85,85 56A, LC 99
    the ring has- 8 0498 DANA 42721 P82 286A 41 9
    the brakes say on the caliper (varga 1) VFCC 2306.1

if you have this kit please also explan how to fit on the e brake....

thanks for any help... oh ya all this for 280.00 !

• 56A should be the Detroit locker for D35 with 3.54+ gears.
    gears... the "41 9" is the tooth count. 41 teeth on the ring gear, and 9 teeth on the pinion gear. (41/9= 4.555555(repeating) so, yup.. 4.56 gears) 42721 is the part number of the ring gear, the matching pinion gear should be 42115.

you're on your own with the brakes. :)

personal opinion... I'd rather spend the money on a D44 or anything stronger than a D35 if you're gonna run bigger tires with a locker. I'm assuming you're gonna run 33s or bigger. It's a question of "when" not "if" a shaft will break. If you're gonna stick with that axle, get some alloy shafts.

Oh, most 95 YJs have a 1330 ujoint at the pinion yoke. measure the yoke sizes of your axle vs the new one. if the new one is larger, look for the Dana Spicer # 5-134x that's a conversion ujoint you can use to keep your original driveshaft.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• that was my next question, wheater or not alloy shafts are worth it.... save money? im sure i just svaed a ton of money by getting this axle... i know the locker is 500+, gears 130.00, and disc brake converson at least 500.00....plus all the labor.... i dont have the money for anything else... this is a great oppertunity.... i was going to run my stock d35 open diff with my 33's MTR's but now my rear will be locked and i plan on having a regear the front and aussie it... my buddy runs 35's on is 30/35 locked and it works well.. im going to stick with this since im still in college....

thanks for the help

• probably be better off getting a set of spare shafts and the tools to replace them easily on the trails.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• not unless you can get them cheap. at $200 for alloy shafts, not worth the money, IMO. It'll take you longer to break a shaft with your 4cyl motor, so I'd just get a set of spare shafts.

Jerry / Whatevah

• the brake conversion looks similar to the one on my YJ. i did not do the conversion, however i do know that it is a stainless steel brakes corp. kit. http://www.ssbrakes.com the kit number for my kit is A128 and uses they supply the f.m.s.i part number d347 which can be searched by most parts stores. the PO told me the calipers are from a 88-91 lincoln, ford, mercury such as the t-bird/cougar

i looked on their site and it looks like they make their own calipers now. same contact info and location so i know its the same company. you could drop them a email via their web site and get the install packet...

hope that helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!