Manual and manuevering the beach

• Hi All, Have been struggling a bit with my JK and with stock tires @ dsssp (Conquest thru Faithful Steward) driving with a manual. Can't seem to get some momentum when starting from a stop without slipping the clutch too much...

I have new tires and wheels this week and have 3 more inches at each corner - hope that will help.

At any rate, was I doing something wrong with the stockers? is there a trick to manging the sand with a manual?

Thanks!

• You're in low range right? I don't air down my JK but faithful steward was a lot tougher than the Navy crossing for me.

• Stomp on it :driving: - that's pretty much what I ended up having to do. I hope these new Tires will help!

I am using Low range as well...

• once you get going you will have to go higher into your rpm/speed range in order to maintain speed to transition to the next gear when you shift, sand is never the same, sometimes you can glide over it, other times you have to be really agressive.

• Thanks! I will let you guys know how it goes for me next time.

Glad to know that I am not a complete moron :bang: on the sand...

• In your original post you said that momentum was a problem for you, I am sure that if you were in 4 HI you could get more momentum than 4 LO.

• Buy an auto... I use 4hi only and engage the locker in my Yota. Don't stop so much. I try to do everything in my power not to slow down for anything.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• If you air down to about 12psi you will be in good shape even in HI. I have a ton of friends that surf fish and one is the pres. of the Delaware surf caster and he is saying they run about 8PSI as crazy as that sounds. You only need enough air to keep from breaking the bead.

• I know a JK is a little heavier than a TJ, but I've never had to air down and I only run in High gear and keep it in first. (a few times I've shifted to 2nd, but only if I wanna show off)

The only time I've gone down to low range (2nd gear) is when I helped pull people out.

But you're right, when the sand is difficult to drive in, you kinda have to give it more gas than on the street when starting out.

• I have a manual w/ 33's and 3.73's and find it much easier on the drivetrain (Engine & Clutch) to use 4Lo. Like Jodie said, start out in 2nd and shift to 3rd once you get moving.

I rarely air down.

• I have a 1-ton truck and air down to 25 psi and run 4hi no issues... never bogg down or anything... If I were you would go down to 12 like they say and keep it in 4HI... I never use 4lo on the beach, too much torque and you will only dig... When i use to take the jeep on the beach i would just run 2nd gear and 4hi...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• I have a manual w/ 33's and 3.73's and find it much easier on the drivetrain (Engine & Clutch) to use 4Lo. Like Jodie said, start out in 2nd and shift to 3rd once you get moving.

I rarely air down.

x2 only I have 4.10's and a 241 .
    I rarely air down but F/S seems softer this year than last .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!