What have you done to your Jeep today?

• wheeled it! cut a sidewall. took some body damage to the rear quarter-panel, hatch, and taillight. :bang:

jeeze altierior! every time I log on its another story of how you broke something! I would start saving for a Tank. :doh: :rollsmile:
    not to get off topic...

• jeeze altierior! every time I log on its another story of how you broke something! I would start saving for a Tank. :doh: :rollsmile:
    not to get off topic...

LOL

bought it a new tire :roll:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• trated a buddy parts i got for free and couldn't even use on my jeep for his Factory Cruise Control, :innocent:

• Bought something for Slimer today......a set of Wagoneer Dana 44s!

Don't have time to wheel so I figured I'd spend the time I don't have modifying a little. I'm not sure when I'll get to it but I got them in home so that's the first step.

Now I have to figure out which scenario to go with:

1. Retube the rear Dana 44 to off center the diff:
    Pros:
    I'd only have to buy 1 set of 4.88 gears (for the front)
    I can keep my Dana 18 t-case and over drive
    Being able to KEEP the over drive enabling me to run lower gears on the street

Cons:
    I'd have to get custom axle shafts made and I'd probably convert it to full floating rear like I have now

2. Keep the rear centered:
    Pros:
    I'd probably only have to get the flanges on the rear axles redrilled for 5 on 5½ bolt pattern
    Going to the Dana 20 T-case would make front wheel only drive possible for front dig situations (when twin sticked)

Cons:
    Going to the Dana 20 t-case would mean I'd lose the over drive
    Losing the over drive means I'd have to buy TWO sets of gears to regear them to somethng more street freindly like 4.10 or 4.27.
    rear drive shaft angle would get steap which is always a problem with CJ5s
    I'd probably have to get a custom drive shaft made up with a CV joint because of the steeper angle or raise the motor up an inch (to tilt the trans back a little) and shim the rear up (to make the u-joint angles match.
    I'd lose the full floating rear or could just spend the coin to put it in anyway

Crap, it will take me 6 months to figure out what I want to do!!!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• rear drive shaft angle would get steap which is always a problem with CJ5s
    I'd probably have to get a custom drive shaft made up with a CV joint because of the steeper angle or raise the motor up an inch (to tilt the trans back a little) and shim the rear up (to make the u-joint angles match.
    I'd lose the full floating rear or could just spend the coin to put it in anyway

:suspicious: You could always stretch the rear with XJ springs in the midst of an axle swap :welder:

• Bought something for Slimer today......a set of Wagoneer Dana 44s!

Sounds like a whole lot of work for little gain.... by the time you retube the axle (why get rid of the overdrive), buy custom shafts, full float conversion etc. you could buy a custom axle.. i know it is about doing the work but there is a point of negative return... have you actually broken anything to necessitate "upgrading"

• have you actually broken anything to necessitate "upgrading"

No. I'm just playing. Wider axles will make it more stable at angles and keep me from crushing my front shocks in when I turn the wheels to full lock.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had the good fortune to replace the double cardan U-Joints and centering ball assembly. This is not a beginner's project and probably worth the cost to have it done. All is back together at this time 6 hours later. :censored:

• WHEELED IT!

[li]punctured another tire sidewall[/li]
      [li]snapped the end off of a rear shock[/li]
      [li]twisted the rear axle housing so badly that the diff pinion now points at the bottom of my jeep![/li]

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Time to get a new spotter.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• time for an 8.8 :razz:
    im jealous you got to wheel it though, i need to get up to RC bad!

• bought it some stuff:
    rear axle seals
    u-joints
    rear shocks
    control-arm bushings

~ JD

• installed new rear shocks
    installed new driveshaft u-joints front and rear
    installed new rear axle seals
    installed new bushings on lower control arm

repainted my rear diff cover (since it was off anyway)

~ JD

• installed new rear shocks

although i don't know why. i removed the damaged ones on monday, and have been driving the heep since then with no discernible difference.

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!