Air Down Pressure For Henalopen???

• Well I went to Henalopen today with my group of buds and family. I aired down to 30 from 45 and I got stuck. My buddy pulled me free and I aired down to 25. I limped to the site we fished at and I aired down to 15. Seemed way better, but she still struggled on the way out. I am wondering if it's the 4 Cly. or is it my air down tech.? I didn't have to air down at Broad Kill Beach... :shrug:

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Well I went to Henalopen today with my group of buds and family. I aired down to 30 from 45 and I got stuck. My buddy pulled me free and I aired down to 25. I limped to the site we fished at and I aired down to 15. Seemed way better, but she still struggled on the way out. I am wondering if it's the 4 Cly. or is it my air down tech.? I didn't have to air down at Broad Kill Beach... :shrug:

What size tires do you have.

AT 45 psi the ride must be horrible.

The sand varies from location to location and when we have a dry spell it can get pretty soft.

• I am running 32's with 50 psi and I don't mind the ride. I used 1st gear in high. The wheels felt like they were locked as if something was binding.

• I had done that before and it felt like it was all over the road. I also don't have power steering so it is a bitch with the pressure that low.

• I've run out on Assateague in the winter time when the sand is packed without airing down in 2 wheel drive. I've also aired my 32x12.5's down as low as 8 lbs when the sand was soft and dry and/or the Jeep was loaded down.It's just a judgement call, you're safest to air down to 12-15 lbs then if the Jeep isn't straining to run in 4-hi next time you encounter those same conditions you know what to do. There could be times you're aired down and in 4-lo and the Jeep's still straining.

• well I couldn't get her to do anything in low gear except die out. :idiot:

Then you have other problems. Low gear should give you more torque and you should need less throttle to make it move :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Then you have other problems. Low gear should give you more torque and you should need less throttle to make it move :doh:

Someone told me it could be the torque converter. But I'm ok until I hit 3rd gear on the Hwy, after that she bogs down like it’s too high of a gear and takes a while to get its momentum again and I have the pedal pegged. Just doesn't make any sense. They used these things in the army with the 4 cly and they drive over trees. I really don't care for to much speed, just want the power. What am I missing here?

• Jeeps are light, they float much better, but 45 -> 30.. will make no difference.. You need to get to at least 20 lbs. to flatten the tire enough to see the real benefits of airing down. The whole idea is that your tire becomes a mini tank tread. The more aggressive the tread, and the stillfer the side walls the more air down you need. With my suburban, I do great at 20. I'd go lower but I'm usually to much in a rush to get out there and fish :fishing: Try 10lbs as an extreme, you will be amazed at the difference.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• regardless of tire type and pressure (which does make a huge difference), when the sand is really soft, it just takes power to push through it. the 4cyl doesnt have alot. picking a good a/t (bfg at is great on the beach) and airing down to 10lbs for when its really soft can make a night and day difference, but you are just going from terrible to ok when you are starting with a 4 cyl

• regardless of tire type and pressure (which does make a huge difference), when the sand is really soft, it just takes power to push through it. the 4cyl doesnt have alot. picking a good a/t (bfg at is great on the beach) and airing down to 10lbs for when its really soft can make a night and day difference, but you are just going from terrible to ok when you are starting with a 4 cyl

When I had my 4cyl YJ w/31s, I used to run in 4 Lo and it did fine. 4Hi had no real power for that.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• well I know one thing for sure. I had always thought of going down for the day with my wife and kids or brother in-law. not anymore, I plan to go only with a few extra buds so if I do get stuck I can winch out. I also plan to air down to 10 psi, but boy did I almost smoked the clutch! it sure did stink. :repuke:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!