Failed PA Emissios Test

• Well my 92 Renegade failed PA state emissions test today 190 K 4.0L 5spd.

Co 2.04% Limit 5.40% Passed

HC 324 ppm Limit 537 Passed

NO 8048ppm Limit 7380 Failed

This test is run on a dyno with the engine warm and the vehicle under 50% load. I think a new Cat. will fix the problem but don't want to spend the money if I don't have too I mean its only failing by 668 Parts per million for NO. Anyone have any ideas and do any of the Emission Test passers in a jar work?

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• i know a couple people in delaware that couldnt pass emissions and they dumped a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the gas tank.run the crap out of the vehicle to the inspection lane.when they got to the inspetion lane and there was a line of vehicles ahead of them ,they would push the car by hand til they got their turn.they said that just sitting and idling would hurt them or stop and go would cause them not pass again.personally i have never done that because i am in Md.after inspection you can go back to normal driving again.

• i know a couple people in delaware that couldnt pass emissions and they dumped a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the gas tank.run the crap out of the vehicle to the inspection lane.when they got to the inspetion lane and there was a line of vehicles ahead of them ,they would push the car by hand til they got their turn.they said that just sitting and idling would hurt them or stop and go would cause them not pass again.personally i have never done that because i am in Md.after inspection you can go back to normal driving again.

Problem is he said PA not DE. PA does not have drive in lanes like you guy's do. Occasionally you'll find a shop who will put on their fake car cap and pass you but I doubt any of them will do it if you don't know them. They don't know if your "THAT GUY" who will report them. Why risk their inspection license for someone they've never met before. That's why it's important to get to know your mechanic and go to the same guy all the time to work up a relationship with them. I've used the same guy now for 9 yrs and it took 5 yrs to get to know him enough that he would pass me with the larger tires on Jeep. Before that I alway's kept a stock set laying around that I put on before inspection.

I'd say if you need a CAT to pass inspection, just put one on and be done with it. Just easier in the long run!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• So this may sound rude, but the Cat is on there for a reason. That is a service item that needs replacing on all vehicles occasionally so deal with it. So many people trying to skate through emissions. Just keep your motor running properly and have a decent exhaust/emissions control system on it. If not, keep it as a trailer queen. You will get more power, better gas mileage, and reduced emissions. Everyone loves smog so let's make some more...

• Well since the cat. was not in stock I tried some CRC Guaranteed To Pass emissions test formula $9.99 at Pep Boys. I did not have time to use the product as they say just dopped it in the tank and drove about 50 miles. Well I passed by the skin of teeth but i'll take at 7376ppm with a limit of 7380 ppm.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Cool I'd replace the cat by next year sounds like that is the problem. When my YJ failed the guy that ran the test said usualy when you pass all tests but the No the cat is bad.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!