Starter question..

• My starter started making a high-pitched whine just after starting. It sounds just like a circular saw that is stopped in the middle of cutting a 2x4. I put in a new one, but the new one is making the same noise!

Is it possible that the new one is bad too?

Is there a way to run this out of the jeep, or is it just too risky?

Any help would be appreciated!

*edit* It's a 95 YJ, 5-spd.

• Had the better half start it while I listened. It did sound like it came from the starter (I listened to from the top and bottom).

I was considering unmounting it and having her hit the starter, but I don't want this thing flinging out of my hand!

• Take the starter and jump it off a battery. If the whine is there, you know it's the starter.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• 1. is it a 4 or 6 cyl?

2. whos brand is the new one?

yes the new one cold be bad and testing it will not be life threatening. The drive could be sticking.

• not sure your starter is the issue may be starter relay in line. Details would probably be to long to type. If you want to call 610-586-1700 I can have my tech guru discuss it with you and ways you can check.

ps I work for a starter/alternator remanufacturer and we are located in Folcroft PA.

Ask for Rich.

• This is the results of what the tech guy (I think his name was Steve) told me to do:

1 - Switched the relays - No change.
    2 - Using remote starter with ignition switch in 'off' position - Sounded like a little less whine/squeal.
    3 - Using remote starter with ignition switch in 'run' position - Sounded the same as before.
    <note: the jeep started as usuall>

I think I'm going nuts, now I swear I hear the squeal all the time, even when a work :rolleyes:

Maybe it is the flywheel 'holding on' to the starter and not letting it go??

Thanks for the help so far!

Kevin

• Tech guy name is Chris.

We have state of the art testers and if you would like to bring it down one day m - t 7 a to 5p I will test it friday 7 - 2.

We are located in folcroft, PA. Hell bring the jeep down and remove the starter in the parking lot.

• this does not sound like your starter , solenoid will not make this type of noise it may need 2 small spacers to keep the gear from hitting the flywheel ,just put 2 small flat washers in-between the starter and the mounting holes while putting the starter back on ,just a thought .try it nothing to lose but the noise .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!