• unlike new iOS versions where they get progressively slower

Not to be a proponent of either (I've got an iphone but if I could move w/o an ETF and the cost of 3 phones I'd likely have one running android...mostly for the carrier) but this is the opposite of my experience. The new iOS releases have been faster on all but the oldest gens of iphones. My 3gs has improved (albeit slightly) with each subsequent release. Now, the service on the other hand...

Then again I'm not your typical apple fanboy, either. I recognize the device for what it is and the benefits (mostly) for the wife and daughter as well as the very simplistic UI and seamlesss media integration (something I wish the android folks would get moving on!) but also its limitations. I'm a geek...more specifically a unix geek...and I want root, I want CLI, I want control over my device. The controls in any of them piss me off to no end, it just happens that there are 'less' controls on the android based stuff.

--Ian

• but this is the opposite of my experience. The new iOS releases have been faster on all but the oldest gens of iphones. My 3gs has improved (albeit slightly) with each subsequent release.

My sister and some guys I work with who have the 3G (no S) say it's now a dog, even the release prior to 4 slowed things down. Some other guys I work with said 4 is slow even on the 3GS but Sal has it and says it's fine....dunno. Perception is king and that's typically on a per user basis. I definitely saw a performance increase with Eclair/2.1 and the benchmarks for Froyo/2.2 are borderline unbelievable.

As always, I have a humerous audio/visual addition to my comment. :)

http://videosift.com/video/Ori…Commercial-Updated-Parody

• My iphone 3G is a "dog" like Stafford mentioned. Constantly hanging up, even the preloaded apps like Messages (texts) if I'm typing too fast or if it's also trying to check for emails. And it doesn't shut down Safari all the time when you switch apps, it hangs up in the background and hogs the memory. I'm jailbroken so I kill it manually to free up the RAM, but... I shouldn't have to! Speaking of RAM, my 3G only has ~33MB of free memory. That makes multitasking very difficult. I had a multitasking app (jailbroken!) last year, but it was so slow that it wasn't really worth using. :(

However, a friend of mine has the 3GS and it looks to be as fast as my brothers 4G. Of course, they both have much better hardware than my now 2year old 3G.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Update coming on Monday for all you new X users.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010…-readying-droid-x-update/
    Improvements:
    <blockquote>+ Improved battery charging status indicator.
    + Smoother transition for camera and camcorder functions.
    + Redesign of weather widget icons.
    + Faster Exchange ActiveSync® email loading.
    + Streamlined organization of newly downloaded applications.
    + Organized favorite contacts by call count.
    + Updated Bluetooth® connection for enhanced video sharing experience.
    + Coordinated date and time across phone displays.
    + Cleaner looking status bar for GPS symbol.
    + Improved sync capabilities for 3G Mobile Hotspot.
    + Faster Visual Voice Mail loading.</blockquote> Enhancements:
    <blockquote>+ Take advantage of the enhanced, preloaded My Verizon application.
    + Preloaded Amazon Kindle® application lets you read Kindle books on your Android™ phone, including thousands of free books.</blockquote>

• Yeah I noticed a friend's 3G was kinda laggy (before the OS 4 update) and almost hesitated to update my 3Gs, but when typing, opening apps, and flipping betweens icons it hasn't been laggy after the update. Once, I noticed it blipped, I searched the app store for an app killer, found none, took 10 seconds to turn it off and back on, that was last week in June and I haven't had any other problems. I'm pretty sure it's just the user :)

As someone who works in IT in the healthcare industry I'm used to nurses who are scared to turn on a computer, can't figure out how to drag and drop files from one folder to the next, or understand what wireless or the icon for vpn is ...

• still playing with it in my free time, but the Google Voice app is pretty cool for voicemail! I missed the visual voicemail my iphone had, and this gives it back. Plus, google's system has a speech-to-text thing that gives you a transcript of the voicemail before I even listen to it. Pretty neat!

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• I missed the visual voicemail my iphone had...

there IS an app called 'visual voicemail' for android. it's $2.99/month. ugh.

i like YouMail. free. it has a visual voicemail interface. you have the option to receive texts that tell you of missed calls and who called and whether or not they left a message. you can also receive emails (handy if your phone is not nearby or if the ringer is off or if the battery is dead). i like that you can access, listen, review, save, or delete your messages online. it's free, but the speech-to-text feature is a paid upgrade.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Google does all that too. Just doesn't send a text if they don't leave a message.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I haven't had good luck with Google Voice's text to speech feature. It always says funny things that make me laugh. :laughing:

This is by far my favorite app:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!