switching out the t-case skid

• does anyone have a sawzall one of the 6 bolts will not budge and i need to get the old skid off to replace it with the new one.

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Is the new one going to utilize the same mounting holes? If so sawzalling off the bolt isn't fixing your entire problem. You'll still have to get the bolt out.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• if your down this way stop by ill break it loose for ya muhahahaha.

like was said if your using those same mounting holes you dont wnat to cut it out.

• If the bolt head isn't stripped it sounds like it just needs some "persuasion". :grin: A little pb blaster and a 4' section of pipe slipped over the handle of your ratchet works nicely. ;)

• Quote from "Urbancrawler22"

does anyone have a sawzall one of the 6 bolts will not budge and i need to get the old skid off to replace it with the new one.

Is the bolt really stuck, or is the nutzert spinning in the frame ?

• if its just the bolt suck and the nutcert then USE SOME HEAT. i have a map gas torch from home depot that works wonders.

• well i finally broke it loose but now all its doing is spinning and not getting loose i did everything i could but it still wont come out so i put the rest of the bolts back in so i could drive it to school and work tomorrow. but i really would like to get it out one of these days. also i notices 2 of the 4 bolts in the middle were broke off is that the tranny mount the threaded bolts go into a piece of rubber material and have no heads the other end had 4 nuts now two the other two are broke off in the rubber material :doh: :question: what should i do about this??

thanks for your input,
    -kevin

• Thats the tranny mount. It has 4 studs sticking off of it, or it should anyway. Id buy a new one, as i doubt it is repairable.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• yea i just found some on quad and 4wd hardware thanks what should i do about the stripped bolt for the tcase skid?

• If it is just spinning free and not loosening then you probably ripped the nut free. If that is the case cut the as close to the frame as possible and push what remains in the frame through to open the hole. Then there are a few options. You can get a long drill bit and drill through the top of the frame and just put a long bolt through, or Weld a new nut in the hole (this can be tricky).

I'd drilled through the frame on mine and put a really big washer on top to spread the load out.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• kevin,
    yup, you'll need a new mount like ed said.

for your skid, i had the same problems. once they start spinning there's nothing you can do until you get the skid off. i cut the heads on the ones that spin - that'll allow you to pull the skid off. once off you'll need to tack weld the nutzerts in-place to the frame. i have some picks that i'll load up here to show you how i fixed mine. just make sure you don't cut them off until you have the stuff all ready to fix it at once. new TC mount, welder, sawzall, etc...catch up with me on aim if you need to chat more about it.
    chris

• The heat from tack welding it probably helped the rust let go as well.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• the rust isn't the problem though. sure they are tight in there - DC's loctite ensures that. it's the release of the nutzert from the frame that causes the problems. once i tack-welded the nutzerts into place i was able to spin the bolts free by grabbing the shanks with a small pipe wrench. nothing more than normal force was required to unscrew them - keeping the nutzert solidly fixed was the issue. i had 2 of the 6 that were spinning at the point when i took care of this problem. but for future's sake i tack-welded all 6 of them since i was all setup for it. no problems since :)
    chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!