Need electrical help!!!

• Background:
    ME: I'm Paul, I haven't posted in awhile. I have 3 kids and I'm a Leo.
    JEEP: 2000 Wrangler TJ 4.0l

Problem: We have to go back to when there was snow on the ground. Remember the snow?? I was out driving in it, came home and left a light or something on and it killed my Optima battery. Bought a replacement battery and put that in and was driving around in snow again. Did not have the battery tightened down enough and it slid in the tray. The positive terminal hit the body of the Jeep and I lost all of my electrical. The Jeep still ran fine, just had no lights, heat, gauges, etc. Jeep sat, replacement battery died. Charged it once a few months ago and Jeep started right up and gauges worked.....UNTIL I hit brake pedal, or turn on lights, or do anything that involves electrical and the gauges go dead. Nothing electrical works, but Jeep does start and run. At least until is sat for the last 5 months and battery died again.

Yesterday, pulled the alternator and took it to Pep Boys for testing. They say it's fine. Put it back in. Checked all the fuses I could find (under hood, behind glove box) and nothing is bad. Checked wires underhood between battery, starter and alternator, all look fine. Nothing melted, burned or broken. Charged Optima with a battery charger (thanks Slimer!) and today the Jeep starts again but STILL have no electrical.

WHAT AM I MISSING? Could the Pep Boys test be wrong? Is there an inline fuse I can't find? I'm no electrician, and really need some help on this. I also cannot seem to pull codes with the turning the key 3 times thing, and I don't know if a reader would work if the electrical is fried.

Any help, suggestions, or a large explosive device (last resort) would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to get her on the trails again, not to mention just on the street!

Thanks! :spinrhead: :spinrhead: FREE LITTLE CAESARS MEAL DEAL TO WHOEVER SOLVES MY PROBLEM!!* :spinrhead: :spinrhead:

*[size=x-small]-valid only at the Kirkwood Highway location.[/size]

• check your fusable link, its the green section of wire on your pos battery cable, once your battery arkd to the battery it probly blew that, its pretty much a fuse but melts away :beer:

• the only green section of wire I see comes out of the fuse block under the hood, and connects to a red wire that goes to the generator. Is that it? It covered by a rubber casing where it's joined to the red wire.

• it should be joined to the red wire going to the battery and alt. yes

• I imagine if this melted it would be obvious. I cut the black rubber casing off and there was nothing burnt or melted on the green wire that I could see.

Jerry also lent me his code reader, but the only code it pulled was:

P0443- (generic)- Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit
    Manual says "An open or shorted condition detected in the EVAP purge solenoid control circuit"

Again, not an electrician, or a mechanic, but this doesn't seem like it would be the cause of my problems.

Should I replace all the black relay fuses under the hood? I don't know what else to check unless I blew the computer. But if I did that, would it still pull codes with the reader?

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks.

• Hard to trouble-shoot this kind of thing over the internet.

But, a couple things to check.

Coming from the positive terminal of the battery there is a thick cable that runs down to the starter and also a thinner cable that run to the Power Dist. Center (Black Box).

Check the cable connection on the side of the PDC. It's possible when the battery moved it pulled something loose.

Also, check the ground cable at both ends, Check tightness of bolts and look for corrosion.

• It's proving hard to troubleshoot in my driveway!

I did completely remove the connection to the PDC yesterday and both connections looked fine. I don't see anything wrong with any of the cables or connections.

I'm at a loss. :shrug: :help: :shrug:

Does anyone know if a code reader would still pull codes if the computer was shot? Just so I can hopefully rule that out.

Any other suggestions?

• You can still pull codes with a junk computer. As long as it isn't completely dead.

Anyone have the wiring diagrams for a 2000 TJ? I do this kind of crap at work all the time, but I don't have the wiring diagrams for a tj to look at.

• You can still pull codes with a junk computer. As long as it isn't completely dead.

Anyone have the wiring diagrams for a 2000 TJ? I do this kind of crap at work all the time, but I don't have the wiring diagrams for a tj to look at.

I do. It's about a 20MB file though.

I don't see how the PCM would affect dash lights, etc.

• Paul...Your jeep is dead. Leave the Keys and signed title in the glove box and i will be by and haul it away for free, no charge....Problem gone

you stated everything worked until you put electrical load on the system (brake/head lights) a shorted cell in the battery, or bad ground could cause this.

My suggestion would be to get another new battery. if the optima was giving you problems, i doubt it fixed itself sitting in the garage. just because it holds a charge, does not mean the battery is good. could have a shorted cell in it. the standard battery that you shorted out and deep cycled (ran completely dead) now would make a good anchor.

i would also check the ground wire to the frame, and the ground strap from the engine block to the body (usually a braided strap)

• Dave.....you're alive!! :spinrhead:

I signed the title, it's in the glove box with the keys. I did lock the Jeep, but the spare keys are right on the hood. I put a big flourescent orange glow-in-the-dark flag next to the keys, so you shouldn't have any problem finding them. Thanks for your help.

The optima charged, but I see what you're saying. The backup battery also charged (at least the charger said it was at 100%) so I will try to swap that out and see if it makes a difference at all. I was afraid to pull the battery out of the Libby to try in it for fear it would magically suck that battery dry too and leave me with no vehicle at all. I'll check the ground wires too. This is of course once I have some free time.....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!