Jeep TDI conversion

• Keith very true but I have always wanted a Diesel Jeep and with the job I have Bio-Diesel is free. I've looked at a few 4BT powered Jeeps and came a cross this(not sure about a AX-5). Plus i'd love to be able to get 25-30 mpg from my Jeep.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Keith very true but I have always wanted a Diesel Jeep and with the job I have Bio-Diesel is free. I've looked at a few 4BT powered Jeeps and came a cross this(not sure about a AX-5). Plus i'd love to be able to get 25-30 mpg from my Jeep.

No arguments that it would be a neat conversion. :up:

The ax-5 will not hold up, I'm assuming you would have to go to a larger transmission like a ax15, nv3550, or nv4500. I would also keep an eye out for wrecked jeep liberty or Cherokee with the diesel (3.0L I think). Anyway that VW diesel is a good swap too, and that's kits not a bad price considering, but I would get an ax-15 behind it; either way a jeep with a diesel is awsome, and the 4bt is a great motor, maybe in a few years I'll give it a try, after I pound the snot out of my 4.0. If you do start it make sure to post everything up.

• How would you handle DMV and emissions? They would expect it to be as clean as the original gas engine. Unless its just a trail rig.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• How would you handle DMV and emissions? They would expect it to be as clean as the original gas engine. Unless its just a trail rig.

That's the big hold up I'm hopping in PA I won't have to worry about emissions on my '92 YJ soon. I can never get to talk to Dan at Jeff Daniels to see how they get around that on their 4TB conversions seems no one wants to talk about that! Other then NOx a diesel should be cleaner for emission and Pa started testing for NOx in 1997.

Neill

Edited once, last by 92Renegade ().

• Don't ask, don't tell...

Yea keep getting the diesels are exempt from emissions testing in PA! but the problem is a YJ was never available with a diesel don't know if I could get a reconstructed title if I put a diesel in.

Neill

• Finishing up a 4bt intall into a Land Cruiser right now in the garage. Neil give me a call if you want to check it out.

Aaron

• Yea keep getting the diesels are exempt from emissions testing in PA! but the problem is a YJ was never available with a diesel don't know if I could get a reconstructed title if I put a diesel in.

General rule of thumb for engine swaps, is that it must meet or exceed the factory specs and generally include the computer and emission equipment from the donor.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• State of DE requirement is that is pass the year of vehicle emision standard. You can put a carb motor in a FI truck if it runs clean enough. Only problem would be if your truck is OBD3 and they have to read the computer, then your swapped motor must interact with the computer.

Aaron

• So swapping the driveline out of my 93 CTD into, say, an 84 crew cab dodge would be OK??

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• So swapping the driveline out of my 93 CTD into, say, an 84 crew cab dodge would be OK??

-Brad

If it meets or exceeds the emission standard of the stock vehicle.

• FWIW the standards in most states are that the donor engine must be >= the model year of the recipient, it must be of the same 'class' vehicle (ie. you can't put a 6bt in a yugo), and it must retain all emissions equipment from the donor. That being said DE is much more lenient on all these, they simply don't check...I've done more than a few gas-only swaps (mostly in imports) and can tell you that 99.9% of the time the inspector has no clue. If it's >96 and Kent or NC they just scan it...<=95 or any year in Sussex and it's on the sniffer. In the case of scanning it the actual emissions don't even technically come into play...only that it doesn't have any MIL's and all (well 1-2 depending on year) readiness codes are set.

Now, since <07 diesels have no emissions testing you simply need to demonstrate that it's no longer running gasoline. I talked w/ Scott (dieselcj) a few times back in '05-ish as I've been pondering a oil burner in my TJ for a number of years and according to him at that time it was pretty easy provided the inspector had 1/2 a brain.

I've been following the HPA kit for awhile now and am intrigued as I'm a fan of the TDI's but do have some concern over the power. It's a great swap in sami's but my junk is heavy and to lay out that kind of $$ for numbers similar to the 4.0 I already have doesn't make a huge amount of sense. Currently on my short list are the Isuzu 4BD1T/2T and Cummins QSB 4.5...both have readily available adapters and can be made to run w/ a min of wiring.

--Ian

• Ian thanks for the info. :up: I'm in the very early reseach on this swap but PA seems to fallow CA standards. Just don't want to go through all this only to have a off road only Jeep. I agree with you about the TDI vs Jeeps 4.0 L Ian also like your new sig line about your TJ! :roflmao: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Neill

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!