This is One of the reasons Jeep owners Rock!

• I do not know if anyone has posted this or not. But, I feel it needs some attention. Here is the link to the story on a local news station.

I hope this is okay to post.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/1515…for-son-of-fallen-soldier

Here is a copy of the story for those who cannot follow the link at the moment.

CLARKSVILLE, TN (WSMV) - Last April, Sgt. 1st Class Charles Adkins was killed in Afghanistan in the midst of a suicide bombing. Now, months after his death, some members of the community are stepping forward, making sure a promise Adkins made to his son is carried through.

"When my dad was in Afghanistan, he wanted to get a new car and start over and rebuild it himself," said Sgt. 1st Class Adkins' son, Garrhett Adkins. "He got a Jeep. He wanted to come home with me and help rebuild it."

13-year-old Adkins says there are strong ties connecting the Fort Campbell families of his neighborhood. Those ties are strong as ever, surrounding a project involving a Jeep.

"Me and my mom didn't know what to do with it, so we had to wait until he got home," said Adkins. "Then something really bad happened. A suicide bomber came and killed my dad. Since then, the Jeep guy thought it'd be awesome to come help us and do the Jeep like me and my dad wanted to."

The self-professed Jeep guy is Garrhett's neighbor, Staff Sgt. Jason Axelson. Along with other friends and neighbors, Axelson has stepped in to finish the project.

"I can't replace that fatherhood bond experience but at least I can build a pretty good Jeep," said Axelson. "This just so happens to be my area of expertise. Lo and behold, here we are. It just so happened that we had a Jeep that needed work, and that's the least I can do."

"It's military families taking care of military families," said Sgt. 1st Class Joshua Davis. "If something like this were to happen to me, I would just hope other military families would do the same."

"Many kids never get to have a car in their teen years, and I'm getting one built for me at 13," said Adkins.

It's a project that means so much to an area 13 year old, thanks to a community and their strong ties.

"For them to take their own personal time to help make my dad's dream come true, it's a really great thing," said Adkins.

These volunteers need your help. They're currently raising money to help finish that Jeep just as Garrhett Adkins and his dad intended.

You can make donations to www.wish4ourheroes.org.

Copyright 2011 WSMV. All rights reserved.

Here is the Email for Will. He is doing the work if you have any questions please send him an email

dameinlike@yahoo.com

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• On a side note, many newer Members here may not know, but DEJA has done something similar twice.

After Steve Smith (One of DEJA's co-founders) was involved in a terrible rollover accident, the Club led by Aaron restored his Jeep for him.

Sadly, Steve is still unable to drive. I believe Aaron is still custodian of Steve's Jeep.

Secondly, Aaron and a few other Club Members installed a lift on a Soldier's Jeep as a favor to the soldiers Father.

In return, the Father presented both Aaron and DEJA with flags that were flown over a base in Afghanistan.

That is the flag that was flown over the DEJA flag at last year's Surf Tourney.

• Makes me so proud to be associated with great people driving great vehicles. Forgive the cheese, but this story touched me.
    God bless that family, and all of you here that got the same warm feeling when reading that story. Thanks for sharing, Neill.
    :up:
    :iwo:

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!