WTB: Air Pulse System

• I was contemplating getting one on my last CJ that couldn't pass emissions and didn't have any of the stock stuff. After looking at the system, it's basically a pump that pushes air into the cat to burn cleaner.
    So as I'm thinking, hey I have a York compressor that I want to install for OBA, that's the same idea! I mounted the York, ran a line down to the cat and when I flipped the switch on the compressor - air straight into the cat!
    Passed inspection with flying colors! After that, I capped off the cat and plumbed the OBA as normal.

Just an idea.

Joe

• I can't imagine you would pass if they knew you were diluting your exhaust gas with clean air and thereby lowering the pollutant concentrations. Something to consider because combustion has already taken place in the engine, there is no "burning" in the cat. The cat removes/converts pollutants through a catalytic reaction with rare metals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter All you are doing is lowering the concentration of the measured pollutants to "passing" levels. :shrug: There may be an almost negligible help to the CO -> CO2 portion of the reaction but I doubt it would be much as the NOx portion produces O2 already.

I would definitely check more into the legality of this modification prior to adding it. Info in case the OP's intent is solely to pass emissions.

• Also I dont believe there is an air pump on the engine. If I remember right it was more of a passive system with some vacume control relays and crap on the air filter housing. I think my 85 had the same set up when I got it but it was stripped down and not working. I scraped the whole thing when I put the new (1980 vintage rebuilt) engine in it in 93 and changed to the older emission system. I will check in my repair manuel's for what it needs.

• Thanks guys.

I failed DMV inspection 3 times, and I need to get this thing registered asap, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• I can't imagine you would pass if they knew you were diluting your exhaust gas with clean air and thereby lowering the pollutant concentrations. Something to consider because combustion has already taken place in the engine, there is no "burning" in the cat. The cat removes/converts pollutants through a catalytic reaction with rare metals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter All you are doing is lowering the concentration of the measured pollutants to "passing" levels. :shrug: There may be an almost negligible help to the CO -> CO2 portion of the reaction but I doubt it would be much as the NOx portion produces O2 already.

I would definitely check more into the legality of this modification prior to adding it. Info in case the OP's intent is solely to pass emissions.

Err...not exactly correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

FWIW it's not a 'mod'...my '82 had it from the factory (I deleted it w/ no issue). If you've ever seen a cat w/ the tube projecting from the side, that's what it's for.

EDIT: IIRC there were ports on each runner of the exhaust manifold as well as the one going into the cat that were plumbed in. Also, the pump was _very_ low pressure & vol.

--Ian

• as i said when you came over you do not need the pulse air system. go over to the shop i sugested they have an emmisions machine. they will tune the carb so it passes. its really that simple.

aaron

• as i said when you came over you do not need the pulse air system. go over to the shop i sugested they have an emmisions machine. they will tune the carb so it passes. its really that simple.

aaron

I agree with Aaron I don't what shop he said to go to, but I have not had that system on my CJ for the last 10 years and have always passed emissions. Now granted I did have to retune and reset the carb a few times but no real issues with my current set up.

• The towing shop closes at 5 mon-friday and by the time I get home from Philly it's 6Pm. So I figured getting the air pulse system, I would install it on a Saturday. But I guess I should just take a day or half a day to get it tuned. Btw, to Aaron and the other guys who have helped me, I really do appreciate all the tips you've given me! :beer:

• i ripped all that bull :censored: off and have it laying arround not sure if it works its all off my 88 yj 258 also riped off my carter i have stock coils stock distributor sitting arround and other stuff i upgraded to a weber and chevy ignition. looking to get rid of it thought of tossing it but if you have a need. come take a look

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!