Best place to get a pic of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge

• * not the Bay Bridge Tunnel, the rt 301/rt 50 bridge between Stevensville, MD and Cape St Clair, MD *

I talked my wife into letting me take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on the way to Fla from PA. I would like to get a decent pic of the bridge either from the East side or the West side. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good vantage point to get a good shot. I could only get so good of an idea from google maps.

Just to be more difficult, 'time lost' from this could will have a negative impact on the rest of my long journey, so it can't be too much of a detour. ;)

This is what I see from the internet:
    From the East side, it looks like the last exit before the bridge is Rt 8, but there looks like there are a lot of trees, and a long drive to get to the shore to get the shot (not crazy long, but more the 5 min).

From the West side the best vantage point looks like from S. beach rd in Sandy point state park.

Please let me know if you know of a better spot, of there is something I should know about the Sandy Point spot :shrug: [size=78%] [/size]

Thanks,
    KJB

P.S. we plan on getting there around sunrise.

• I rely heavily on a program called The Photographer's Ephemeris. It's a mapping program that shows The exact relationship between the sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset against the horizon at any given location. You can pick the date and location and it'll pinpoint where the sun will peek up from so you can stage your vantage point well before sunrise. The mobile app costs money but their desktop version is free.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but maybe it can strengthen or weaken your current choices?

• From the east you should be able to get to the shore from the clubhouse parking lot on the south side (check out the google maps satelite view). The north side is a hiking trail if I remember correctly, so it would take a bit more time than you're planning on.

The best view should be from the Sandy Hook State Park. I've been there as well, and the view isn't too bad, but the photo quality will depend on where the sun is. However at sunrise, I'm not sure if you can get into the park... I've only been there during the day. You could try the south side, I don't see any gates on Obrien Rd so if you can get to Oceanic Dr, you could get a shot but it might be backlit by the sun.

Fwiw, it's faster to just take I-95. I only take 301 to avoid the tolls. 301 has 55mph speed limits and not enough traffic to be able to "go with the flow". There is a state police barracks about halfway between Middletown and the bridge, too.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• A few years ago I took that same trip on the way back from Bike Week. My uncle lives in Virginia Beach and we visited with them for an overnight.

You realize that this is a LONG way out of your way? If you make the trek from I-95 into VAB anywhere near rush hour it will take you 3 hours to get from I-95 to the bridge. Not trying to spoil your fun just making sure that your expectations are set. Mine were not...

I can't tell you any good vantages for pics even though I have been across that bridge at least 60 or so times. BUT if you have a few minutes stop at the pier. If it's a nice day the pier is pretty awesome.

• Sandy Point on the western side of the bay gets my vote. BTW, that's actually properly called the William Preston Lane Memorial Bridge...just in case you want to clearly distinguish it from the Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• You realize that this is a LONG way out of your way? If you make the trek from I-95 into VAB anywhere near rush hour it will take you 3 hours to get from I-95 to the bridge. Not trying to spoil your fun just making sure that your expectations are set. Mine were not...

I think he means to take 896/301 south from Delaware instead of 95... He can then follow 50 to get back to 95.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• thanks for all the responses! I am taking 95 to 896 to 301, and back to 95. Google maps 'says' it will be about 45min longer, but I know that info is only worth the money I paid for it..

quadna: I will check out The Photographer's Ephemeris. Thanks for the info!

whatevah: I'll check what time the park opens to avoid showing up when it's closed. And thanks for the head-up on the police activity!

Kevin

• thanks for all the responses! I am taking 95 to 896 to 301, and back to 95. Google maps 'says' it will be about 45min longer, but I know that info is only worth the money I paid for it..

OK so that is the Bay Bridge http://www.baybridge.com/ which takes you into Annapolis. The bridge that I was referring to is Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel http://www.cbbt.com/ which takes you into Virginia Beach.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!