2012 Coastal Cleanup

• All I can gather is that it should be on Sept. 15 this year .
    I have sent several emails to the contact but have yet to hear back.
    Anyone have any current info? Only 6 weeks out .
    I'm hoping the club will make a good showing .

• Thanks for posting.

Can we get some volunteers for this? We haven't done an official beach cleanup at our sponsored site this year so it would be nice to make some kind of showing to this. If I miss Big Dogs due to it being on my 10 year wedding anniversary, I'm going to try to make this.

• what beach/area are you guys signing up for?

We sponsor a section just north of Faithful Steward Crossing. I don't see that listed specifically.

Surfrider....anyone....what should we be signing up for to get "our" beach? :shrug:

Map for those interested: http://www.destateparks.com/do…re-seashore/dssp-2009.pdf

• Im not sure as the usual meeting site isnt listed on there . Previous years we met in the parking lot , north side of the inlet .
    Might just have to meet at another location and ride over to Faithful Stewared .

• Unfortunately, I've got National Guard duty that weekend and can't get out of it. But, is there anything pre-event that I can do to assist in the Dover area? With DNREC?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Unfortunately, I've got National Guard duty that weekend and can't get out of it. But, is there anything pre-event that I can do to assist in the Dover area? With DNREC?

Nothing that I am aware of . Everything is pretty much the day of , but it nevers hurts to send an email asking .

• I have exchanged a few emails with DRNEC and Glenn Stubbolo.
    He will set up Faithful Steward as a clean up site .
    Now when you view it online the site will say full .
    Glenn will set us up with a tote that I will pick up either a day or so before or on the date of the cleanup.
    If you have already registered , Please meet at Savage Ditch parking lot .
    If you have not registered but still want to attend , try to register for Faithful Steward , if it will not allow you do so .
    Just plan on meeting at Savage Ditch .
    The tote will have all the necassary supplies and the t-shirts ( tho it will only be a few and of course shirts will be on
    a first come , first serve basis.)
    Any questions please post up

Currently , here is the list of those attending ...
    Surfrider + 2
    Grningbear + a few
    MrJoop
    NandosJK + 1

Tentively...
    Knoxrents
    Flutterby

If I missed anyone please let me know .

• NEWS FROM THE DELAWARE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL

For further information, call Rachel Coats, DNREC Public Affairs at 302-739-9902.

Kickoff event issues call for volunteers to join 2012 Delaware Coastal Cleanup

FENWICK ISLAND (Aug. 22, 2012) – Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Deputy Secretary David Small joined t-shirt sponsor Delmarva Power this morning on the beach at the Delaware-Maryland line to make the kickoff call for volunteers to come out for the annual Coastal Cleanup.

Online volunteer registration is now open for the Delaware Coastal Cleanup, to be held from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Sept. 15. Sponsored by DNREC, the cleanup spans the First State’s 97-mile eastern coastline and includes river and ocean shorelines as well as wetland and watershed areas. This year, more than 40 sites in New Castle, Kent and Sussex counties are targeted.

Volunteers are strongly encouraged to pre-register on the DNREC website to ensure enough supplies are provided and that everyone receives a custom-designed 2012 Coastal Cleanup t-shirt in appreciation of their efforts. Pre-registration will close at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 4. On the day of the event, T-shirts will be distributed to volunteers who have not pre-registered while supplies last on a first-come, first-served basis. To pre-register, go to http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/CoastalCleanup.

At last year’s Coastal Cleanup, more than 2,200 dedicated volunteers from civic organizations, youth groups, businesses and families collected 10.7 tons of trash from 41 sites along Delaware’s shorelines and tributaries. Nearly 4 tons of that trash – mostly aluminum cans and plastic bottles – was recycled. Some of the more unusual finds included a BMX bicycle, a woman’s wig, a flag pole, a port-a-potty, a full bottle of whiskey and 14 assorted appliances.

Delaware’s Cleanup is part of the Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup, the world’s largest annual clearing of trash from coastlines and lakes by volunteers. Hundreds of thousands of people all over the world help each year to rid the environment of marine debris and collect detailed information on the types and quantities of refuse they find. The types and quantities of trash collected are recorded on data cards and forwarded to the Center for Marine Conservation, which compiles the information for all of the cleanups held in the country and around the world. This information helps identify the source of the debris and focus efforts on eliminating or reducing it.

The Ocean Conservancy supplies trash bags, data cards and marine debris brochures. Delaware’s cleanup is co-sponsored by Delmarva Power, which provides t-shirts for the participants. DNREC is responsible for organizing the event, recruiting volunteers, distributing supplies, ensuring trash removal and tabulating data. Playtex Division of Energizer Personal Care, which provides gloves, and trash and recyclables hauler Waste Management also return as sponsors.

The Coastal Cleanup is held in conjunction with National Estuaries Day, which promotes the importance of estuaries and the need to protect them. Estuaries are vital to migratory species; provide critical habitat for a variety of marine plants and animals; help prevent coastal erosion; and are important recreational and tourist areas.

For more information about the Ocean Conservancy and the International Coastal Cleanup, visit http://www.oceanconservancy.org. For more information about the Delaware Coastal Cleanup, please call Rachel Coats, Delaware Coastal Cleanup coordinator, at 302-739-9902.

Vol. 42, No. 325

• Heather and I may come but I have to check to see if she is not working. I will update soon. I may have missed this but do we need to register at the DENREC site or just on this thread?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!