tire/flare laws delaware

• Does anyone know if there are laws that will keep me from passing inspection because my tires stick 6"s past my flares haha.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• I'm just trying to figure out what size flare I'm gonna need.... I'm looking at the metalcloaks right now but don't know if I need something that eextremebut they look nice... But I wanna make sure before I drop 600$ I am not buying something that won't pass.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• It is my understanding that the rule of thumb the inspectors go by is: Looking straight down from the flare they can't see any tread that touches the road. Soooooif your tires stick out 6 inches, an extra 5 inches of flare is a safe bet.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• I posted the DE regulation elsewhere on this site (do a search for my posts and you should be able to find it). If memory serves, your tires are allowed to extend up to 1" beyond the fender or flare.

• Thanx guys ill search the site and see if I can find it. I wanted to change my flares anyway but I wanted to make sure I'm not gonna have to buy two sets out of stupidity.

• I just passed inspection the other day with 35x12.50s and no front flares at all. YMMV but I would try to run through as is before you spend any money.

Depends entirely on who the inspector is. I tried that about 6 years ago and failed. I had to get the Bushwhacker Pocket flares. See if you can borrow someone's stock tires and rims to get it through.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• My recent trip to dmv, inspector told me only 1" pass fender flares. I run 33x12.50's. I had to borrow a members tire/wheel to pass. just a heads up.. oh, dmv in newcastle is the one i went to... jc

• I forget who it was that said, he would get his girlfriend/wife to take his Jeep through and never had any problems.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• I don't think I know anyone with regular tires for a yj haha

YJ, TJ, KJ Liberty, ect all the same bolt pattern.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• Thought after 96 they all switched to a 5.5 yj has a 4.5 or something like that....

• What about getting pulled over? I still have stock tires for inspection but do the police bother ticketing for this in New Castle County?

I dont think it is an actual law that can be ticketed and it is just an inspection rule.

• the DMV in Dover are anal at best. I had a pick up and it had 2.9 inch body lift and it took 5 inspectors with all types of measuring devices to tell me what I knew. They pasted me but everyone had to be a D :censored: K about it in the line. 1 inch is what I was told for the tire and flare, this comes from a former inspector from Sussex.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!