National Monument

• I'm a new forum member so I apologize if this is not in the right thread. Today's paper mentions the upcoming designation by the President of a three part National Monument in Delaware (a possible precursor to a Nat'l Park and administered by the Nat'l Park Service). One peice is the large Woodlawn property. Once it transfers to Federal possession, does anyone think there would be a possibility of lobbying for some ORV trails to be created? I know it's prohibited now, but the Nat'l Park Service will be in control and I thought groups such as this and the many others in nearby areas would be supportive. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but it would be nice to have someplace public other than the beach to explore with my Jeep in Delaware.

• I'm a new forum member so I apologize if this is not in the right thread. Today's paper mentions the upcoming designation by the President of a three part National Monument in Delaware (a possible precursor to a Nat'l Park and administered by the Nat'l Park Service). One peice is the large Woodlawn property. Once it transfers to Federal possession, does anyone think there would be a possibility of lobbying for some ORV trails to be created? I know it's prohibited now, but the Nat'l Park Service will be in control and I thought groups such as this and the many others in nearby areas would be supportive. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but it would be nice to have someplace public other than the beach to explore with my Jeep in Delaware.

May as well forget all that. I mean shoot, it is likely that the Woodlawn property in particular won't even allow the existing mountain biking to continue. The "park" designation is really just a political game as Delaware is one of if not the only state(s) without a National Park... This battle to stop the transfer to the Feds has been going on for months by other recreational groups like the TrailSpinners and such.

• Maybe I'm just dreaming, but it would be nice to have someplace public other than the beach to explore with my Jeep in Delaware.

lol, had to throw it out there. I figured once it's out of private hands and into the gubment system, there'd be a sliver of a chance since some of them allow it.

• Yeah they are trying to make 3r's a national park... if they do that's a epic fail. And as far as off roading come down south we got a ton of farm fields you can mud in haha.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Federal Park means federal funds to build and maintain the park which means more jobs. It's also a potential opportunity to increase tourism which will open the rest of Delaware's "small wonders" to a larger population. This could add up to a potential increase in state revenue which would ease the burden on the tightening operating budget.

It's better than more slot machines.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I see that side of it too John. I always look @ the whole picture. Normally. But lets use Cape Hen for an example. Right now they allow us to drive on the beach to surf fish. Fed backing funds and making it a fed park could impose restrictions like no longer able to drive on the beach as it may cause damage to the dune grass, leak oil and gas/fuels. Things of that nature. That's just how the feds think. I've gone to places where we take guided tours and was told you were allowed to do this or that before the park was placed in Fed operation and now you can no longer do those things that made the park what it was.

Is the funds to maintain it and jobs worth it? It's like allowing the Bear refinery to purchase more smog and waste points to dump crap into the air and water but in turn they employ more workers. I don't really see a fair trade off here.

Then you have the amount of money spent to right a bill, look @, consider, study and pass it.

Don't get me wrong, I love fed parks. We go to them all the time. But get disappointed when you used to tour a building or walk up to a site while it was a state funded attraction then posted off limits in fed hands. But I must say the structures do look really nice behind a nice decerated metal fence or post.

Here is another great example I just remember. The Pine Barrens of New Jersey. There is talk about making them federal protect lands. Rumors are once that happens most of it will be off limits to 4x4 and wheeling. There is a lot of debate about whether in fact it should be as there is a lot of damage being done to the Pines. I for one love it and the group we go with are very careful we Tread Lightly.

If we all thought the same there would be no need for the amount of retards we send to DC. But that's just how I'm looking @ it. Would I support a fed park. Of course. I'm just worried about the negative impact and I think everyone should just think of what the negative impact could be...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Federal Park means federal funds to build and maintain the park which means more jobs. It's also a potential opportunity to increase tourism which will open the rest of Delaware's "small wonders" to a larger population. This could add up to a potential increase in state revenue which would ease the burden on the tightening operating budget.

It's better than more slot machines.

Um, exactly where is our broke Federal Government getting these funds? And as I understand it, the State was actually willing to handle these parks...

• It's political payback. Plain and simple. Think of the campaign ad fodder this will be for years..... Nothing I repeat NOTHING good ever comes from more Government. So they bring in what 12 Federal jobs? How many state jobs will be lost? NONE.

• Um, exactly where is our broke Federal Government getting these funds? And as I understand it, the State was actually willing to handle these parks...

Same place it gets money for supporting more worthwhile things like increasing the education and technology level as well as green energy alternatives.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The US National Park service has a budget of over 3 billion dollars a year and Delaware sees none of that. DNREC has a FY2014 budget of around $36M paid from the state general fund...that's 1.2% of the national budget. A few million from Uncle Sam could let that money be repurposed for other things like oh I don't know maybe paying off DelDOT's massive debt. I pay taxes in this state like most of you...if Uncle Sam wants to put dollars on the table, provided we don't lose anything out of the deal like access to certain areas, etc, then show me the money.

• The US National Park service has a budget of over 3 billion dollars a year and Delaware sees none of that. DNREC has a FY2014 budget of around $36M paid from the state general fund...that's 1.2% of the national budget. A few million from Uncle Sam could let that money be repurposed for other things like oh I don't know maybe paying off DelDOT's massive debt. I pay taxes in this state like most of you...if Uncle Sam wants to put dollars on the table, provided we don't lose anything out of the deal like access to certain areas, etc, then show me the money.

This just makes me laugh but truly it is pathetic. Everyone just thinks "Well someone is getting the money, why shouldn't I get my share?" It isn't "Uncle Sam", that is OUR tax dollars which aren't going to pay off the massive dept this country owes. You may as well say "Damn, I have a right to be part of the problem too!" If everyone keeps on with this mentality, there won't be anything left. Woodlawn is privately owned so no State $'s are going to it. I have yet to hear a reason why DE needs a National Park other than "Well, we don't have one". Waah, get over it.

Want to fix DelDOT's massive debt? Fire the idiots running it right now, and stop repaving perfectly good roads every year! Simple enough...

EDIT: Sorry if I am pissed but the Feds need to get our county in order and stop piddling away our money like it is inconsequential. Every dollar counts and there is absolutely no need for BS projects like this. Hell, this doesn't even require an approval from Congress. What a sham...

• Fine, then it's not the Fed putting money on the table it's OUR TAX DOLLARS being repurposed to spend in OUR STATE for something that will only benefit US. I'm OK with that. Sure it could go to spend down the national debt. Say they did that. No one would believe it. People would say, "Where is that money going? Probably to pay for some politician's extra-marital affair or to pay someone off."

If they want to spend it on our state let them. It can onlly benefit us in the end, for once.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!