Bonfires on the beach

• Hey guys, so I may have asked this last year, but its been a long year to remember these things.

Ive always been curious of having a small fire on delaware beaches while surf fishing at night. Ive been at 3R's beach all last summer, both daytime and nighttime, and we always bring small grills and stuff like that, which is totally legal, and I was wondering if i brought down couple logs and either just dug a small hole or brought a firepit with me, would i get in trouble? Im not trying to throw a huge bonfire party or anything but having a small fire during the night would make life alot easier. Lemme know if any of you have done this before and or how much trouble id get into if i were to try it.

• As far as I know, it requires a permit and all coals must be removed. I'ds say bring your own fire dish, and keep it contained and under control.. Make sure you are fishing.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I always wondered also and found this on the net... NEVER MIND...Cant paste it here :shrug: . Anyway Dewey charges a $30 permit fee plus a $40.00 clean up deposit. Lewis permit is $25.00 and no ETOH and everything has to be hand carried onto beach.... I typed in "Delaware beach bonfire" and a bunch of info came up along with hours and so on. I would think each town would have there own rules and silly charges...

• I don't believe you are allowed to do it on any of the surf fishing beaches even with a permit. Bring a 55 gallon drum, throw a grate over the top and call it a bbq.

That's correct.

None of the State Park beaches allow it, permit or otherwise.

And if you do the barrel, you better bring only Kingsford.

• I had thought about applying for a fire permit on Lewes Beach for the Spring Fling but it just didn't seem worth it to use a barrel. :shrug:

We can just let Stafford light off some Chinese Lantern's for excitement. Depending on the wind, it's like playing Russian roulette with fire. Ask me how I know. :doh:

As far as beach fires, I am glad they aren't allowed. They smolder for a long time if people get lazy extinguishing them (and burn like hell if you step on a buried one...again, ask me how I know ::)). Also, the leftover coals look horrible.

• I had thought about applying for a fire permit on Lewes Beach for the Spring Fling but it just didn't seem worth it to use a barrel. :shrug:

We can just let Stafford light off some Chinese Lantern's for excitement. Depending on the wind, it's like playing Russian roulette with fire. Ask me how I know. :doh:

As far as beach fires, I am glad they aren't allowed. They smolder for a long time if people get lazy extinguishing them (and burn like hell if you step on a buried one...again, ask me how I know ::)). Also, the leftover coals look horrible.

You can have a "ring", doesn't mention a size limitation. :)

There is another rule though...

NO OPEN BURNING – NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES – BEACH MUST BE CLEANED IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING PARTY – ALL EQUIPMENT MUST BE HAND CARRIED ON TO THE BEACH
    NOTE: All fires must be contained in an enclosed container, ie, metal ring or barrel. Do not bury any wood/charcoal in sand. The beach cannot be reserved for you as it is a public beach, therefore, others may be using the beach at the time.

• So the moral of the story is just burn at your own risk? Like i said, im not trying to throw a beach party or anything, Id just like some light and heat for a cold night on the beach. Im only saying burning maybe 1 or 2 small logs at a time. I have a fire ring that i could easily just bring and let it sit on top of the sand.

• I've seen fires out there and I've seen the wardens storm them like they were trafficking drugs. I think you might be able to on assateague but you gotta by a permit. But don't hold me to that. By the way the fishing there is way better just a really long ass ride.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!