Low Oil Pressure

• i have 4.0 in my wrangler. the engine is out of a 94 cherokee. it runs great. typically, the oil pressure is a bit low, but over 20 psi. sometimes, (i think it has only done this after being on the highway for a while, then getting off and waiting at a red light), the gauge will show almost no oil pressure and the check gauges light will illuminate. if i just rev the engine, the pressure will jump to 20, then drop as the engine comes back to idle. once i take off, the pressure never drops again, even when idling at a red light. im not too concerned about this, but was curious.

any thoughts?

• not that i can add much, but my oil pressure gauge has showed no oil at times, and revving it makes the gauge go back to normal. I've read of numerous sender issues online for the motor.

Mine's basically been doing the same things for years ... but if you somehow prevent a catastrophe, let me know!

• Check your oil level. If that is ok you might try a thicker weight oil (if your motor has a lot of miles on it). If thicker oil fixes the problem then you're bearings are wore out and need replacing.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• There is no issue 4.0l motors will run almost no oil pressure at idle after they warm up and they get a few mles on them. The street jeep has 154k on the clock and it reads 1-2psi at idle.

Aaron

• My old 258 would do this as well. Remember there is a difference between volume and pressure. There is plenty of volume, just the bearings are too loose to build pressure at idle once it warms up. I ran 15w40 rotella in it and it helped a little. Only way to "fix" it is new bearings.

• I know this is going to be wrong but what about a semi clogged oil pan screen. I don't know the real name of it but the screen on the pump sitting in the oil pan. If that gets clogged could that have some affect like this?

• I know this is going to be wrong but what about a semi clogged oil pan screen. I don't know the real name of it but the screen on the pump sitting in the oil pan. If that gets clogged could that have some affect like this?

It will, but not at idle. A clogged screen will cause the engine to starve for oil at high rpms when the pump is moving a lot more volume of oil.

Too the OP, I had similar issues with my LJ, turned out the oil pressure sensor was clogging up with gunk and causing low readings. I installed a new one and no more issues.

• I had this on my 258, I replaced my OP, and it did get better but would still be freakishly low at idle.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Just put duct tale over the gauge and you'll never know its there... easy fix haha...

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• my cj7 read 5psi at startup and would drop to 0 under normal operating conditions. the needle would move (1-2psi) above 3kRPM my mechanic said...you can rebuild it, and it will fix it, or run it till it dies, and rebuild it then. 7000 miles without oil pressure later i sold it without a single engine issue (30 miles each way to work when i was driving it)

• this is kinda what i was thinking. not too worried about it, just wanted to make sure. after paying more attention, normal idle is 20 and reg driving gets it to 40, but it just drops to nothing right after i get off the highway and idle. sounds like its a jeep thing, haha

thanks guys

• Try some thicker oil and throw in some Lucas. Also you might put in a mechanical oil gauge to replace the electrical.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!