JK Q&A and Do's and Don'ts

• I am tossing around the idea of getting a 4dr JK. Definitely base model with 4wd, any of you that know me know that it won't be stock long. I also know better than to buy any bells and whistles that I cannot do for a fraction of the price. I'll more than likely have it on 37s within the first year.

So, since I have been out of the game a while and don't know everything about the JKs, what are some things to look for and avoid? Axles, gears, lockers, and such doesn't matter much since most will be modded at some point. I'm more interested in motor, trans, recall, etc type of issues.

E.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• since you are going to mod the crap out of it i would say it does not matter. the new engine in the 2012+ is awesome compared to the 3.8 in the earlier years, some of the 3.8's had oil burning issues. the 3.8 was also underpowered, but with the right gearing many were happy with it.

if money is no object, go with a 2012+ for the new engine. stay away from early production dates, as they had head issues. the 3.6 is a far superior engine IMO to the 3.8.

my .02

• I know you like building your own stuff Ed but there are some really good kits out there that have been tested thoroughly.

I would stick with a short arm kit on the JK. The long arm set-ups I've seen are useless. Good luck Ed. Hope you get one. :driving:

• I don't mind buying a kit if they are worth a shit. I just am not worried about gearing and lockers or the bells and whistles of the pricier models. I'm going to look at a black one this weekend in Salisbury.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!