Re-Gear Vibes

• Okay.. Ive been down this path before w the old TJ. Regeared to 4.56 with aftermarket shafts and sye. Fought vibes till the day i sold it due to the increased driveshaft RPM... (partially due to bad TC output bearing) but i digress..

My question is to the fellow JK owners here, Im thinking about regearing to 4.88 or slightly taller in the future and still run factory drive shafts. Should I expect a Similar vibration issue as with the TJ? This is my daily driver that frequently see's 75mph highway roadtrips. Currently it rides beautiful on the highway without a single vibe but is a dog in start stop traffic. If vibe issues are common during a JK regear I will just put up with the current set up..

School me!!! :help:

• 5.13's in my JK with no vibes.

Unless there is something else wrong, the increased drive shaft speed shouldn't create vibes.

I noticed you have a 2012. What size tires are you running? From what I've read concerning that engine/tranny combo, you don't need to re-gear as deep as you would with a 2007-2011.

• Suspect its more of drive line angles that probably became more apparent at certain shaft RPM after the gearing. A few degree shims at the rear axle might have cleared that right up.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Driveshaft speed should be about equal. Unless you are running 5.13's with 28" tires.

Correct, only difference would be if you over geared, which most of us do to give better torque. If the engine is doing 2000 rpm at 60 with 28 inch tires, and you regear with 35 inch tires to a proportional ratio you will still be doing 2000 rpms and 60. Meaning the drive shaft is doing the same speed in both situations. But even if you over geared the difference in drive shaft speed should not be enough to cause issues unless some other component is not up to par.

• 5.13's in my JK with no vibes.

Unless there is something else wrong, the increased drive shaft speed shouldn't create vibes.

I noticed you have a 2012. What size tires are you running? From what I've read concerning that engine/tranny combo, you don't need to re-gear as deep as you would with a 2007-2011.

You are correct, It is drivable with the stock gears and 35's. Though still leaves something to be desired at low speed starts and crawling on the trail. 37's are the ultimate goal here

• Thanks for the replies, I agree that if the shafts are ballanced and not bent there should be no noticible vibes.. In the case of the TJ.. It had a crate 8.8 with uses an offset center section creating a compound angle at the pinion, This plus the sloppy bearing in the TC front output yoke were the issue i think.. The higher DS RPM just Amplified the issue X10.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!