help with post processing?

• So I don't use PS Elements, I use Lightroom for most editing. Does Elements have an adujstment brush? If so why don't you just change the exposure of just the sky that way in the raw file?

I've been drooling over the video features of lightroom and aperture :) but elements doesn't have a brush that you can just brush in multiple exposure changes or what have you in multiple places. Adobe products come with Camera Raw, and I imagine that lightroom would come with the same camera raw plugin, but its uses are limited, usually all editing on elements (and I imagine lightroom) is performed on the JPG. The raw file is a 12-bit file, the jpg is an 8-bit file, so once converted, the ability to make the drastic exposure changes, as presented in the above pics, is lost. So I can't make area specific exposure changes on a raw file, they are only global edits.

It seems like you can just brush in areas that you want a change with lightroom, and then change the values of that change. In elements, I think you have to select certain areas somehow, copy it into a new layer, and then make global changes on that new layer.

• Are you able to see the meter's suggested values while in Manual mode?

It lets you know if you on on an exposure or above or below in 1/3 increments.

I gotta say also, modern digital cameras are really quite impressive with the depth of some their options and abilities.

Agreed. I was torn between the new level (smallish) fixed lens camera with the sensor damn near as big as a cropped sensor, but this tiny little camera, with a sensor only a little bigger than an iPhone, fits in my pocket and easily goes everywhere, but is extraordinarily more poweful than a smartphone.

• [size=2]
    usually all editing on elements (and I imagine lightroom) is performed on the JPG.[/size]

[size=2]Lightroom edits are made in RAW.[/size]

[size=2][/size]

[size=2]
    It seems like you can just brush in areas that you want a change with lightroom, and then change the values of that change. In elements, I think you have to select certain areas somehow, copy it into a new layer, and then make global changes on that new layer.
    [/size]

[size=2]Yeah in Lightroom you can brush as many different areas as you want and change any setting based on those different set areas.[/size]

• So with lightroom 5 being 52% off I had to do it. With about 30 min work .... yeah I need more practice.

So the side by side of elements and lr with my very limited knowledge/experience:

I've read articles where some people use elements for certain edits and then lr and then back and forth. getting there i think ... slowly :)

• I have gone from Elements 11 to Photoshop CC. They are similar while at the same time completely different and have a lot of learning to do. Also have LR5.1 but haven'y used it yet. They were running a special for $9.99 per month for Photoshop CC which gives you several programs to use. Here is your photo while 5 min of work in photoshop.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!