Finally done.

• Well, its been a long time coming. I finally got up with Stapen and did the axle swap. So, now I have a dana 44 with a spartan, regeared to 3.73 which made a huge difference in every way possible. Also, installed a loc-rite in the front. Stretched the rear a inch to make the drive shaft work. And for once this install went easy as hell minus the fact that we didnt get started till almost noon. And for all those people asking why I went to 3.73 instead of 4.56 im cruising 65 mph at 2k rpms. And possibly going faster since im running 35's now.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Did you change out your Speedo gear? If not you should check your actual speed with GPS, my Speedo reads 8 mph faster than actually going. Going to swap out the get this spring.... how much of your 8" of lift are body lift? Aaron suggested I do a body lift as I rub slightly with the 35's when flexing or when suspension is compressed.

• Bob I have 2 inches of body lift. Im actually going to knock it down to 1 inch and cut the rear wheel wells if need be. To be honest before you do a body lift try the cut out fender flares. It might work. Mine gave me alot of room which is pretty nice. But if Aaron said do it then do it. Ive learned along time ago he is right more then hes wrong haha. I bought everything he told me to and this went smooth as hell. Wish I wouldve dont it sooner honestly. Its a totally different machine now.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Nothing wrong with having a 1 inch body lift on a TJ. In fact, I think you should.

Aaron is never wrong .... now :innocent: My personal opinion is that he's only right now becuase he's figured out all the wrong paths already .... :mrgreen:

• The regearing is a huge improvement, everybody said I wouldn't notice a difference going from 3:73's to 4:10's, they were wrong, the amount of low end from the swap is awesome. I was running 33's when I swapped but have been running the 35's for about two months now and I'm still happy with the gearing. I might not bother going to 4:56.. seriously check your Speedo against a hand held GPS or get a Speedo app for your phone. When I was running 33's with the 4:10's my Speedo was reading 14 mph faster than actual speed, going to 35's my Speedo is reading 7-8 mph faster than actual speed. I'm not cutting anything on the jeep, Aaron suggested an inch to an inch and a half body lift, i'll probably just clear 37's as that would be the tallest I'd go. Hoping to get on his schedule later this winter to do lift and seal this POS front axle seal that's leaking everywhere. We need to get a couple beers together soon. Probably doing an 18hr deep water wreck fishing trip in February if Laura gets a little better, i'll keep you posted if interested. I also cleared the schedule for the surf tourney this summer...

Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by hookedonthebay ().

• If everyone you asked said going to 3.73s to 4.10s wasn't worth it you asked the wrong people :mrgreen: Just be careful about running 37s, that's usually about when the stock sized axles tend to start breaking quickly. I've heard people run them just fine for 2 seasons and only complain about swapping out ball joints, i've heard other people say they break a shaft every season. I suppose it's if you know how to maintain the vehicle while driving.

• If everyone you asked said going to 3.73s to 4.10s wasn't worth it you asked the wrong people :mrgreen: Just be careful about running 37s, that's usually about when the stock sized axles tend to start breaking quickly. I've heard people run them just fine for 2 seasons and only complain about swapping out ball joints, i've heard other people say they break a shaft every season. I suppose it's if you know how to maintain the vehicle while driving.

Most people here said it was a waste going from 3:73 to 4:10, they said just go to 4:56's. I'm glad I didn't, at least while running 35's. I think with 4:56 I'd be turning 3000 rpm at 65 mph, too much gear.

• http://www.jeep4x4center.com/calculators/

4.56 or 4.88 would have been good based on what tranny u are using. Yes 410 works for 35s but not near stock. U should have drove someone's jeep with 35s and 4.56 or 4.88s. Ud be like oh damn, 410s suck lol.

Agree, I would have gone lower than 4;10s but my original plan was 33s. But I really can't complain. With the auto its not bad. Far better than the T176

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

4.56 or 4.88 would have been good based on what tranny u are using. Yes 410 works for 35s but not near stock. U should have drove someone's jeep with 35s and 4.56 or 4.88s. Ud be like oh damn, 410s suck lol.

I have 4:56's to put in but don't think i am going to swap. At 70 mph im turning 2300-2400 rpm. It feels and runs great. I don't want to be turning 2800-3000 rpm running back and forth to the beach

• I have 4:56's to put in but don't think i am going to swap. At 70 mph im turning 2300-2400 rpm. It feels and runs great. I don't want to be turning 2800-3000 rpm running back and forth to the beach

4.56 and 35's should equal around 2100-2500 in OD.

4.10 should be about 1900-2200 in OD.

Have you checked your speedo?

Which tranny do you have?

X2.

I knew mine had become a dog on 33"'s with 3.73's.

I grew accustomed to it over time.

Going to 4.56 brought it back to how it felt stock.

The 4.0 only makes a little over 80hp at 2K rpms.

That might be great for a stock TJ, but as you add weight from armor, winch, etc. and larger tires, it takes more HP to maintain a given speed.

• holy shit, is there anyone on this thread who has actually run every single combination of 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, with 30", 33", and 35" tires? If so, please keep replying, otherwise, why bother?

The guy just said he likes how it drives. He just re-geared when on 33s, and then switched to 35s for not very long. So I think he's got a pretty good handle on how each combination felt. Some of you guys drool over your torque output in a certain rpm range from the online graphs for all that rock crawling you do, sounds like bob likes saving the 200rpm on the other end on the highway and beach runs. Jesus.

Oh, and why bother quoting "rpm ranges" that are 400rpm wide, there are links to calculators that give the exact rpm speed at a given road speed for each drivetrain component and gear ratio.

The jump from 30" tires to 33" tires is bigger than the jump from 33" tires to 35" tires. So yeah, it's probably not as big a deal.

Bob - I'd be more concerned about running 37s on the rocks like a champ on that setup than the gearing. You're already at the comfortable edge with 35s.

• Sal if I did 37's it's a long ways off. I like the 35's, ran them at Rausch right after I bought them from Aaron, they took me places I couldn't go before. 37's would probably be a waste of money nut would probably look pretty nice. Thanks for seeing that all I did was state what I was happy with.
    Keith, yes I checked my Speedo and yes it is off, I used a GPS units for speed , that is where I got the numbers I posted. I am running the stock 5 speed transmission. With the 4:10's I am able to run the whole length of the route one expressway (in PA) from chichester to the Maryland state line in fifth gear holding at 60- 65 mph if I don't hit the traffic lights. No lugging or repeated down and up shifting like I did with my 3:73's while running 33's.

• Geez Sal, been a while since you got laid?

I haven't run every combination but for my heavy jeep 4.56 w/ 33"'s is perfect.

I can pull a fairly steep grade in fifth and can actually use the cruise.

The broad ranges were because I wasn't sure which tranny he had.

Here are the exact numbers:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!