replacing gas tank and skid on YJ

• [size=1em]My rusted skid plate 'chafed' a hole in my fuel tank, so both have to be replaced. The labor estimate from my mechanic is $350 - $400 to replace the tank and skid. Is this price high? How much work is involved? I was considering tackling it myself.[/size]

[size=1em]Also, i was checking ebay for parts, is there any local (se pa or northern de) that i should check out?[/size]

[size=1em]thanks for any info,[/size]
    [size=1em]kevin[/size]

[size=1em](it is a '95 with a 20 gal tank)[/size]

• Not hard to do yourself. All the parts are easily available. I would go with a poly tank a new sending unit and a good after market skid. Should still be cheaper than your quote.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I have a plastic/poly (not sure what the dif is) YJ tank I could let go pretty cheap. The sending unit is still there and looks to be in pretty good shape. Send me a message if you're interested.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Should be a rubber pad between the gas tank and the skid plate. I'm pretty sure mine has that anyway. Upgrade the skid plate to something beefier because stock ones are pretty thin. I have a diamond plate skid which I like.

But as was said it's an easy job. Just make sure the tank has minimal fuel in it to keep it light.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• thanks for all the replies! i'm not planning to keep jeep too much longer, so not looking to put bunches of money in it. so the next decision is cheap (stock) or better skid..... also, thinking I should go with a new fuel pump while I'm at it...

slimmer - is that a home made skid, or is the company name "Diamond Plate"??

Kuntryboy816 - msg sent!

kevin

• It's not hand made. Not sure of the company because I got it second hand. But you should be able to find it on Quadratec or 4WD Hardware. If you aren't keeping it much longer I'd just weld up the one you got.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Call around to the junk yards to find used one. Last time i looked i got a skid and tank for $50.

• I didn't use the best choice of words when i said "i'm not planning to keep jeep too much longer".. To be correct, I don't WANT to keep THIS jeep too much longer, but money,, well you know.. As soon as i win the lotto, i'll get a newer jeep. lol

:driving:

kjb

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!