Tow / Recovery Points

• So I have a question about recovery points on the Jeep. I already have two tow hooks on the front frame. They should be sufficient for a front end recovery. I was contemplating what to do for the rear of the Jeep. I have a bumper with a 2" reciever. I was looking at several options but I'm unsure which would suit me best. I can go with a regular hitch and ball setup, a tow hook insert, a D-ring shackle insert or there's various combinations of all.

I would like to have have a hitch and ball setup for towing my pop's boat or a small trailer. The other options are only specific to one use and I don't want to spend the $$ on 2-3 different inserts depending on the need at the moment. I've seen the insert that has 3 tow balls and a hook but that seems like it'd be a bit bulky to keep in the receiver while wheeling.

What's y'alls preferences and the pros and cons? I was thinking of getting a regular hitch and ball setup but was wondering if I left the tow ball off until needed, could I then use the hole in the hitch to attach a D-ring if needed? Has anyone done this or seen it done?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• D-ring is the safest option for recovery. You should avoid shock loading a tow ball. They are not meant to handle that load and a 2-3lb metal ball flying at you is going to do some damage.

I've seen a few d-rings in tow ball holes. Usually the drop hitch is bent from smacking the d-ring on rocks.

• Since the hitch pin is going to hold it together no matter what you put in the reciever, why not just put the hitch pin through the loop in the strap?

Now see this is why I post up questions b/c there's usually a way simpler solution than what I try to envision in my head! I would've never thought of that! Also I never thought about that hitch ball failing during a recovery. You're a wise man Spedly!

I did find a D-ring rec hitch ($9.99) and a rec hook ($14.99) on HF's website. I may still get one of the 2 just b/c they're inexpensive but I'll definitely pick up one of these as well. I figure it'll be easier to see/find if I'm in the mud/water. http://www.harborfreight.com/easy-grip-hitch-pin-91306.html I figure I can attach a lanyard of sorts from the safety chain hook to the handle in case I accidentally drop it.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• I ran a tow hook insert for my XJ hitch for years. No complaints, just gotta be careful if you're going to flat-tow somebody for a while (I usually wrapped a ziptie around the hook as a strap keeper) so the strap doesn't come loose if you have slack.

I'd recommend either a hook or shackle insert, a lot of straps won't fit inside the hitch opening, and the ones that do will be a huge pain to set up when the hitch is under water or filled with ice and mud. Whatever you do, I'd suggest carrying extra hitch pins... they come in handy.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Since the hitch pin is going to hold it together no matter what you put in the reciever, why not just put the hitch pin through the loop in the strap?

If you pulled hard on an angle using only the hitch pin, the strap pressing hard over the inside edge of the receiver could cause strap damage or breakage.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• If you pulled hard on an angle using only the hitch pin, the strap pressing hard over the inside edge of the receiver could cause strap damage or breakage.

I think you could probably bend or fully compromise the pin also since the load on the pin is way greater and way different than an trailer insert in full double shear.

• I think if you are looking for a retrieval point for rock crawling, i.e. you know you'll most likely need to use it, then get the right tool for the job. I've seen some pretty vicious yanks on the strap while at RC or Paragon. If you are just looking for ways to get by in case you need to tug someone free of a high spot in the sand or out of a ditch then the hitch pin will probably do the trick.

Don't the rules at RC specifically state you must have retrieval points? I'm not sure they'll consider a hitch pin as a retrieval point. :shrug:

**nevermind**
    6. All vehicles should have at least one towpoint and a full-size spare.

• FYI, I wouldn't leave that in there full time unless you intend on putting a lock on it....I was 'relieved' of a warn shackle insert at one point by someone who clearly needed it more than I. :censored:

• Looks like the ring came with it judging by the awkward width. I think it looks good though. Definiatly better than the hitch pin idea, wich I have done before with no issues. Ive got a HF hitch extender and its pretty good quality, definiatly unlike some of there somewhat disposable tools that are made of weak metal.

• That is a funky shackle... I'd get one I could trust for hard pulls. But I echo the suggestion to store it, or use a wrench or screwdriver to crank it down tight so it can't be removed by hand. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!