Wrangler Unlimited Buying tips

• I'm considering upgrading from my XJ to a Wrangler Unlimited. Not sure if I will go new or used.
    Looking for tips.

Any years to avoid?
    Any known issues to look for?
    Should I go for a base model and do mods or go for a loaded Rubicon?

Thanks in advance!

• 07-11 are all the same, and 12-current are the same.

The 07-11 have the 3.8l motor that has a habit of burning a lot of oil. Some are ok, others burn a quart per 1000 miles. The auto trans is geared wrong for the engine power band, so you'll want to regear that if you put on bigger tires. Manual trans is better, but the engine is still a little weak.

12+ have the 3.6l motor and a new auto trans. A lot more power, and better gearing. 2012 year have a lot of bad heads, but covered under warranty. My 2012 just hit 30,000 miles on Saturday with no issues.

Base vs Rubicon is up to you... I love my Rubi but I'm keeping it mild (2.5" lift and 33x10" tires). A base model (X or Sport) will save you $2000-4000 for add-ons. If you don't *need* the 4:1 4low gear, selectable lockers or the front electric swaybar disco, go for a base model and do it the way you want. Rubicon also comes standard with more creature comforts like power locks, subwoofer, etc...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Id consider buying new and ordering it from the factory. Or at the least go see what it would cost. We saved a lot of money by ordering a new 2014 with only the add ons we wanted over buying one off the lot that was almost loaded just to get the few options we had to have. The resale is so good that its hard to get a good deal on a used one.

• Id consider buying new and ordering it from the factory. Or at the least go see what it would cost. We saved a lot of money by ordering a new 2014 with only the add ons we wanted over buying one off the lot that was almost loaded just to get the few options we had to have. The resale is so good that its hard to get a good deal on a used one.

Good point, plus new car financing is usually much much better than used. Guess you do the math..

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

I did the exact same thing with my 2013 JK, It took about 5 weeks to come in... I couldn't be happier with it :driving:

• Congrats! Is that new or a 2013? I know last year you could only get that color with a Rubicon. The Rubi will blow you away with what it can do while still stock. Just remember that your breakover clearance is less due to the wheelbase.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Thanks, it's new. I will add a lift soon to ensure some more clearance. Not sure which way to go. Thoughts? I would rather go with quality, than cheapness. RC, RE???

Congrats! Is that new or a 2013? I know last year you could only get that color with a Rubicon. The Rubi will blow you away with what it can do while still stock. Just remember that your breakover clearance is less due to the wheelbase.

• lift will depend on your use...what are you looking to do? i have the AEV budget boost and have been more than happy with it for what's involved. 30K miles and it wheels blues great on 33's....

• AEV usually uses Bilstein shocks, great ride quality. I'd echo the AEV budget boost recommendation. I have the 2.5" spring lift, but I knew I planned to not lift it again any time soon and wanted the absolute best quality.

Tire size and intended use will dictate the minimum lift height. 2-3" lift will fit 35s, but if you want to wheel it harder, you might want to go a little bigger for extra clearance. Once you get past 3", though you'll need more components... but, if you're ok with trimming the flares, you won't need to lift more. They're cheap though, so not too hard to replace if you change your mind. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!