C & D Canal Recreation ....

• I went to a public hearing tonight about the C&D canal.

Basically a group of groups are trying to create a network of walking/biking paths between Middletown and the canal. Then they are planning on paving at least one path along the canal.

The plans are in their preliminary stages, and they were trying to find out what the community thought about the project. Congressman Mike Castle visited some canal in Cape Cod that had walking paths, and stuff, so he wants to make the C&D canal like that one. They say for the canal part they are just trying to make better use of the existing land.

Personally, I am opposed to any changes to the current canal. My girlfriend's property backs up on the canal, and I don't really want a ton more people walking around in her backyard. Plus I like it how it is, it's a nice place to go for a drive (on the legal gravel roads).

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, a good number of people at the meeting were opposed to changes to the canal, but I think it is sort of Mike Castle's pet project.

Below is some places to go or contact for more information.
    http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Projects/CD/
    (215) 656-6032
    mervin.e.brokke@usace.army.mil

• Walking paths are a "sign of the times". They are also planning on making one from Old New Castle to Wilmington, and then one from Old New Castle to Delaware city.

I like the concept but I really don't see how it's practical. That's a whole lot of land the state will be responsible for keeping clean (although they will probably look for volunteer groups). Also, how are the police going to patrol the areas effectively when the state and counties are continuing their cut budget cut backs? It sounds like they are creating a lot of area "no mans land" area that will be plagued with muggers, drug dealers, and other low lifes.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!